Author Topic: Do I need a decapping die with this set of dies?  (Read 746 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Do I need a decapping die with this set of dies?
« on: May 22, 2010, 12:48:51 PM »
Hey guys I am going to try my hand at reloading here in the next few weeks. I ordered 50 Grain V-Max molly coated bullets for my 22-250 last night. I am going through and making a list of items I need to get started. Here are the dies I am going to buy.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=309860
Do I need to buy a special die to take out the old primer or is this all I need from the above die set. Thanks and take care Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Do I need a decapping die with this set of dies?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 12:51:24 PM »
That's all ya need,
the one on the left de-caps and Full length resizes
the center is the bullet seating die
the right is the crimp die

And they come with a sheet of instructions,,but I'd highly recomend reading a few books  ;D
check the local library

lee has a bunch of great videos on line for set-up and use of their tools; link

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/HelpVideos/video.html
found elsewhere

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 12:52:28 PM »
That's all ya need,
the one on the left de-caps and Full length resizes
the center is the bullet seating die
the right is the crimp die
Thank you very much. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »
Dale, you've been hangin' on GB for quite some time now. Yet your question suggests to me that you haven't done much reading of a reloading manual. I sure hope you take the advice to read one or more good reloading manuals carefully before you dive into the reloading.  Lyman, Speer are the two I started with- now I have 15 or 16, maybe more. Be safe. Reloading is a fun way to spend time.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline DannoBoone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 01:11:49 PM »
No, the die on the far right will decap the primers. However, if
you get into reloading much, it sure comes in handy!
We need to change our politicians
like we do dirty diapers.............
for the same reason.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »
Since you bought Hornady boolits I'd start with a Hornady Manual.BTW that 50 gr bullet I saw didn't have a crimping groove, if so leave the crimping die alone. ;)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 06:28:59 PM »
You really need to forget Midway USA and go with Midsouth Shooters Supply a GBO sponsor and a far better company to deal with. They charge only actual cost to ship an item no extra for packing or packaging like Midway. Besides almost always their price on items is less.

I'm certainly NOT a fan of Lee dies but if ya just gotta then go for it I suppose as many here are happy with them. Me I load my .22-250 and really most of my ammo on a Hornady press and using Hornady or RCBS dies. I have none from Lee and only a couple sets or so from Lyman. At present I have none from Redding that I can think of but they too are excellent dies.

Do as has been suggested buy at least TWO reloading manuals and thoroughly read the info up front on how to load before you begin unless you have a mentor who you fully trust. My suggestion would be the Lyman manual as the info section on how to reload and what to look for in my opinion is the best in the business. Since you're starting with Hornady bullets get their manual as well.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
You really need to forget Midway USA and go with Midsouth Shooters Supply a GBO sponsor and a far better company to deal with. They charge only actual cost to ship an item no extra for packing or packaging like Midway. Besides almost always their price on items is less.

I'm certainly NOT a fan of Lee dies but if ya just gotta then go for it I suppose as many here are happy with them. Me I load my .22-250 and really most of my ammo on a Hornady press and using Hornady or RCBS dies. I have none from Lee and only a couple sets or so from Lyman. At present I have none from Redding that I can think of but they too are excellent dies.

Do as has been suggested buy at least TWO reloading manuals and thoroughly read the info up front on how to load before you begin unless you have a mentor who you fully trust. My suggestion would be the Lyman manual as the info section on how to reload and what to look for in my opinion is the best in the business. Since you're starting with Hornady bullets get their manual as well.
I picked up a video from AGI and David Tubb shows you how to do the reloading in the video. It really is a great video. I also have on my list of things I must have is the Hornady 7th edition. I will check into Midsouth for sure besides that is where I bought my bullets at last night. Thanks and take care Dale

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 12:47:35 AM »

I have been reloading going on twenty years now and I still enjoy going to the front of my manuals and re-reading the "tips and tricks". I guess you still can teach an "old Doug" new tricks!
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline bullet8542

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 08:35:06 PM »
I agree with the other posters read and then read some more I currently have reloading manuals from Lee, Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Swift, A Square and I always buy the Hodgon magazine when it comes out they all have great tips and tricks also RCBS has a great How to video you can pick up on E-Bay for about ten bucks.

And Midsouth is the way to go great people to deal with and competitive prices.

Have fun reloading and be safe.