Author Topic: Needing help with my Encore pistol..............  (Read 606 times)

Offline asquires2

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
Needing help with my Encore pistol..............
« on: April 22, 2010, 05:19:50 PM »
I finally got my Encore 243 pistol put together after what seemed to be a life time. Once I got everything together I turned it over to a friend of mine to find a load for it. His first report was 1 1/4" @100yrds. He told me he wanted to tweek the load and try some heavier ammo to see if he could shrink the group. After roughly 100rds , the group went from 1 1/4" @ 100yrds to 6" @ 50yrds.. My question is what would cause the group to spread that much? Once he tried different loads with no luck he went back to the original load and it was still 6" @ 50yrds. He' sending the barrel back to T C but I would still like to know what would cause that to happen. Thx for any input.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Needing help with my Encore pistol..............
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 05:48:02 PM »
Were you  using a scope? This would be the first thing to double check as to screws on scope base are tight and scope rings are tight, Be sure scope has not gone south on you!
Also double check to be sure that your hinge pin is not loose and fits snug. Then double check your muzzle crown to be sure that the barrel has not been dinged on the crown.
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline asquires2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:09:32 AM »
I have a Burris scope on it and from what I was told ,he swapped frames and scopes to find the problem with no luck. The Burris scope is new ,never fired which doesnt really mean anything but I thought I would throw that in there. Man you talk about disapointing :'(! I was really looking forward to her being my go to gun.

Offline asquires2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 02:41:58 PM »
PROGRESS RREPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just talked to my gunsmith and I almost cried. He told me he never sent the barrel back to TC to be checked out, but the gun is shooting less than 1/2" groups @50 and less than 1" @100. He told me the barrel was nasty with alot of copper build up. Once he cleaned it out it shoots great. So that tells me the barrel was nasty when I got it cause I only put 8 rounds down the barrel before he got it. Now if it ever stops raining I can hit the range , I cant wait!

Offline Noreaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 02:46:37 PM »
I heard a gunsmith say that once years ago. People come in with a poor shooter and he would clean the copper buildup out of the barrel and it would shoot fine. I've never seen it for myself, but seems to be what happened to you. Good luck with the rain.

Offline asquires2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 03:02:16 PM »
Yeah, I bought the barrel used and shouldve cleaned it but I didnt, leason learned

Offline bosterr

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 02:13:13 AM »
Check for a loose grip, this will also cause bad groups as a loose scope, and it dosen't have to be on a hard kicker.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 11:27:51 AM »
The button rifled barrels of a stock TC can be polished a bit.  Consider about 100 strokes of JB, back and forth, with new JB and new patch after each 20 or so.

Might help on the fouling, and it won't hurt.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus