Author Topic: Center Point Scope Review  (Read 667 times)

Offline Dogshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
Center Point Scope Review
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:57:47 PM »
Bought a Center Point scope a while back because it was SO INEXPENSIVE and put it away in the safe. Last weekend I decided to see how it would do on a new rifle I bought that didn't have a scope on it yet. It was a Kimber Model 84M in 338 Federal. For those who aren't familiar with the cartridge, it is a .308 necked up to .338 cal. I had some factory rounds and I just wanted to shoot the gun and produce some empties so I could load my own rounds for when I got the scope I ordered for the Kimber. Anyway, I mounted the Ceneer Point and went to the range. I shot a 3 shot group that wasn't what I expected from that rifle. I didn't adjust the reticles because the group was on the paper and I didn't plan to leave the scope on anyway. So I shot another 3 shot group. The group opened up considerably. Another three shots and the scope went black. I never believed the scope would hold up to the recoil of the .338 forever (and the recoil was not that bad either) but I sure thought I could get a box thru the rifle before it went to peices. All it took was 9 (nine!) rounds. I always thought the less expensive scopes are OK for light recoil rifles but as quick as this POS died, don't think it would last thru a brick of shells on any of my .22 rifles. Sure reinforced the wisdom espoused here many times by many good folks: "You get what you pay for".
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Center Point Scope Review
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 05:25:52 PM »
Sorry for your luck but thanks for sharring it here.  Seems lots of people on here shoot sub MOA groups, at unheard of ranges, using bargin cave scopes.  We don't often get "the rest of the story".

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Center Point Scope Review
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »
The majority of center point scopes were made specifically for high end springer air rifles with reverse recoil (springers kick forward) so yes a normal rifle would killl one where springer would kill a normal rifle scope.