Author Topic: 2 questions  (Read 695 times)

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
2 questions
« on: August 25, 2010, 07:32:39 AM »
Which do you prefer when setting up your map North up or Track up?  Also I see when I am set with Track up that the curser always points to the direction I am facing.  But with North up it seems to just point anywhere/everywhere.

I would like the curser/pointer to point the direction I am facing or at least to north.  I find it kind of confusing.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Siskiyou

Re: 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 11:04:58 AM »
I have played with North up and Track up.  Now days I have my units set with track up, I like to see where I am going.  I also have the track mode on to see where I have been.

If I want to know where North is I can always go to the Compass Page.  I look at the dial of the compass to tell where North is. 
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 05:48:24 PM »
Thanks,  that is what I figured would be the best way to go.  I had always gone with north up, but like I said....it seems easier to see where I am with track up.  Plus at the top of my screen there is a white curser that points north when I use track up.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 07:04:49 PM »
Longwinters:  A good reminder regarding the white North pointer.

Think of yourself as a small airplane pilot heading East.  To the North is a long valley, but to the East the Terrain rises rapidly from 200 feet to over 8000 feet, with a couple of passes a little more than 6000 feet.    You have created a route that will take you through the low pass and your gps projects the path to the East.  Clearly you do not want to be looking to the North except to check for hazards.  You want to be looking eastward and making sure you did not miss an elevation point.

The gps is only a tool.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:16:01 AM »
Think of yourself as a small airplane pilot heading East.  To the North is a long valley, but to the East the Terrain rises rapidly from 200 feet to over 8000 feet, with a couple of passes a little more than 6000 feet.    You have created a route that will take you through the low pass and your gps projects the path to the East.  Clearly you do not want to be looking to the North except to check for hazards.  You want to be looking eastward and making sure you did not miss an elevation point.

Well Said...Thanks!