Author Topic: Loading the Rainier 'LeadSafe' Bullet  (Read 1669 times)

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
Loading the Rainier 'LeadSafe' Bullet
« on: June 01, 2010, 02:49:49 AM »
Just bought some Rainier TMJ (Plated Round Nose Case) 200 gr  bullets, thinking they were the same as FMJ.   Boy, was I wrong.   They are nearly as soft as Lead.    I'll be loading them in a 1911 .45 acp.   Anyone have a starting load using Bullseye or W231 ?
Thanks 4B
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: Loading the Rainier 'LeadSafe' Bullet
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:37:08 AM »
I've had real good luck using Rainier plated bullets in several calibers. I use their 200 grain SWC in .45acp and .45 Colt.
According to their website you can use data for lead bullets because they are so soft. You can also use jacketed data as long as you stop at 10% below max load.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »
Thanks HAMMERHEAD:
I'll start in the LSWC range according to my Reloading manuals and see where to go from there.   Just don't want to start with any surprises. :o
4B
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 03:38:05 PM »
You shouldn't have any problems in the 45 acp.  I have used them in 9 mm with Unique.  The load happens to be the starting load for the Jacketed bullets but is what shot good.   I have also used them in 38 special, light loads for 30-06, and I think 44 mag  but will have to check my notes.

From there website,
We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp.

and this is in FAQ
Q3. Do your bullets have ANY velocity restrictions?

A. In general, our bullets typically perform their best when shot at velocities no greater than 1,200 to 1,250 Feet per second (FPS).

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:09:12 PM »
I'll just add that Midway USA says that Rainier bullets can be used up to a maximum of 1,500 fps. Perhaps 1,200-1,250 is optimum. FWIW, I use them in .38 Super at 1,260 fps with very good results.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 01:57:03 AM »
 I like them & load em in the 45 acp & 45 Schofield. My usually powders are a mid charge of Titegroup or a mid charge of H Universal. They have cycled fine in 3 different 45s. I don't have the charge weights here so I don't want to wing it. They go on sale at times with Midway. I have also been casting some 200 grn 'TL' bullets with a Lee mold to try out.
NRA, Veteran

Offline PawPaw

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 02:52:57 AM »
Start with about 4.5 grains of Bullseye.  They're good bullets and should serve you well.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 03:02:41 AM »
I've been loading 5.5gr. of W231 under the 230gr. Usually with a Win. primer, but have also used CCI std primer. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman