Author Topic: Guided Out of State Hunt  (Read 532 times)

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Guided Out of State Hunt
« on: November 28, 2003, 02:14:59 PM »
Now that I am semi-retired I have been thinking of going on a guided hunt.  Perhaps in Texas or Oklahoma.

Here in Wisconsin I have a cabin on 75 acres and we do get some deer but I have often dreamed of going to a ranch where its acreage is measured in by the hundreds.  You see these hunting shows where the hunter sees 4 or 5 bucks in a field at a time heck we don't see that many all year!

I am wondering if any of you have any suggestions or recommendations as to who I should contact and what I should be looking for?

I'm not limited to the above areas just a couple I thought of.

I have done some Internet searches but thought I would come here and pick your brains.

The Pistoleer
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline crow_feather

Guided Out of State Hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 04:22:46 AM »
In northeastern montana - the 700 area- they have a ton of deer and you don't have to pay to shoot them.  The state has "block management units" where farmers allow hunters to hunt large tracks of land - free - and only one group (or person) on the unit at a time.  The only thing you have to do is get your tag - drawing - and contact some of the block managemant groups when they open up for reservations.  You don't see many trees, but there are a lot of respectable deer there.  The town of Jordan has hotel's etc.  I've had some great hunting there

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Guided Out of State Hunt
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 06:21:12 AM »
:D There is a lot of good hunting in the West, are you just interested in Whitetails? What type of weapons do you want to use? What do you want to spend. You can have a real good hunt if you get a limited tag somewhere like crow-featheer suggested. Always check several references going on a guided hunt. Know what to expect before hand by asking lots of questions. How far do you want to go? Illinios, Nebraska, and  Iowa offer guided whitetail hunts.

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Avid Poster
Guided Out of State Hunt
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003, 08:14:08 AM »
:D There are alot of different types of hunts,different costs,different success ratio's.If you are semi-retired are you ready to sit on a horse for a week and camp out?Some types of hunts are very tedious and strenuous.If you are interested in a whitetail hunt,there are alot of great places to go.Montana has a good whitetail herd,but so does South Dakota Iowa,Illinois,Kansas,Ohio and More. I have been on a couple of hunts.One guided,one not guided.I enjoyed the DIY hunt best,but did my homework first.The best planed hunts can go cold sometimes too,depending on weather conditions.I planed a hunt for a whole year,then when the time came for the hunt the weather rose to the mid 80's.Drat :cry: .Make your hunt an experience you will enjoy even if the hunt is not successfull. :grin:

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Guided Out of State Hunt
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 04:50:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  My interest for now lays mostly with whitetails. I have hunted them for nearly 40 years.  I have taken my share but no real braggin bucks.  All of my hunts have been DIY types.  I thought for once I would like to be pampered a bit.  You know they drive you out to your stand in the morning and pick you up at night.  They field dress your deer and take care of it afterwards.   It's not that I am lazy.  I just want a different experience for once.

I have been in contact with several outfitters and the one that seems to grab me by the way they respond to my questions is in Oklahoma.  They are South Bound Outfitters.  I like their approach in that they make no guarantees as to success and have no trophy fees.  They do provide references.

If things work out I'll probably be booking a 04 hunt with them.  It would be nice if the Hunting Guide Forum would have more activity so we could get some references there.

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun