Author Topic: ultra slug hunter trigger pull  (Read 2113 times)

Offline openheart4

• Trade Count: (0)
ultra slug hunter trigger pull
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »
i have a 20 ga. ultra slug hunter that i love but the trigger pull is 4.5 pounds,can this be reduced,if so who or where would be the best to dothis?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: ultra slug hunter trigger pull
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:17:23 AM »
Welcome! Best place is right in your own home, see the trigger hone info in the FAQs and Help sticky, the best source for lots of good info on H&Rs.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 12:21:18 PM »
I had one trigger that was so hard to pull I would actually stop and look to see if I had pulled the hammer back.

I just started messaging the trigger by pulling it back until it locked and pulling the trigger and repeating this proceedure over and over catching the hammer with my thumb, and got to where I could do it rather fast.

Kind of like patting your head and rubbing your tummy but on a much smaller scale.

In other words it's like breaking in a gun by just using it from natural wear and tear, but by doing it multiple times you are speeding up the process.

The only thing is you have to have time on your hands to sit there and do it and no place better than in the blind waiting for a hog to show up, or in front of the TV.

Mine is so much better now that I don't even think about it when I pull the trigger now, and it seems to go off rather smoothly, not near what it was before.

You have to be really careful not to take off too much if you do the trigger job by taking it apart, and from what I hear it's easy to over do it!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 12:34:28 PM »
It's also real easy to to a decent trigger hone.   Be aware that dropping the hammer dry firing will also wear the transfer bar which has a bad habit of breaking, it's a dainty little thing that commonly breaks, given the choice of dry firing to break the trigger in, or doing a simple trigger job, the trigger job would be my first choice. Most members that choose alternate methods of lightening a trigger are afraid to do a real trigger hone, which is really a shame, they're not that hard, just ask lonewolf5348.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,207744.msg1099095727.html#msg1099095727

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 05:14:18 PM »
Not dry firing Tim.

I was pulling the trigger and catching the hammer before it hits the bar or the pin.   Never once have I ever dry fired a Handi!

It's like I mentioned, kind of like messaging the parts so they wear off the rough edges by contact or friction, and repetition.

It's maybe not as fast, or not as good as a real trigger job, but it's an option for a slightly better trigger.

Mine was terrible, and I did this to mine and it smoothed out and now it breaks clean and I don't even have an issue that it is hard.

Trigger is fine now!    Shot a hog this morning at 60 yards with my 20 gauge Tracker ll, using 2 3/4" Buckhammers which it loves and ear holed the little pig.  She weighed about 40#, just perfect for the pit!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 06:17:56 PM »
Num num, BBQ Pork (smacks lips)!!  ;D

Tim

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 03:26:12 AM »
4.5 lbs of pull on a 20 gauge shotgun is not bad.....it's not a bench rest rifle. You can do a trigger job if you want to but i'd just shoot it for a while if i was you...just an opinion

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 03:53:48 PM »
Like Tim said it's not real hard just pay attention to how you took it apart, and take your time, worst thing is to rush it, do it when you have enough time to relax and slow.

-Aaron