Author Topic: Clean out screw?  (Read 792 times)

Offline bckskin2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Clean out screw?
« on: September 24, 2010, 03:19:55 AM »
Any tips on removing a clean out screw? The head is kind of buggered when the last guy tried it.

Offline stringofpoloponies

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Clean out screw?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 04:21:25 PM »
ive gotten a bad one out by spraying it with stuff called- pb blaster from home depot .i had to spray it up for a couple days. i then took a small set of vice grips and clamped on the side of the bolt head good and tight! i gave it several short good whacks with a lump hammer because its got weight to it. what you need is good solid heavy blows rather than trying constant pressure with a screw driver. heat may help too as well as spraying the bore good to work at the threads from the other side. if all else fails  deer creek replaces the whole bolster and drum set up. last time i checked it was like 30$ plus shipping.

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 02:09:45 AM »
That might be the way to go. I had also head of something called Kroil oil. That might work, but replacing the whole thing for $30.00 sounds good.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 06:03:17 AM »
If you have any buddies with motor cycles, ask around for an impact screwdriver. Soak that thing in penetrating oil, heat and cool several cycles.  Use the impact driver to remove the screw. The drivers were very popular when I was riding, the engines were assembled using phillips head screws primarily. I would hope they have a better plan now but I don't know.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline stringofpoloponies

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 11:39:41 AM »
kroil is the same thing i believe . its oil used in refridgerators.  i say soak it and see what you get. if you do start playing around with getting the screw out make sure you tape off the areas around it so you dont scratch up the barrel. i usually just apply electrical tape over the bare parts around the area closest because its easy to get off.