Author Topic: riser blocks?  (Read 687 times)

Offline billdncn

• Trade Count: (0)
riser blocks?
« on: November 30, 2004, 09:11:55 AM »
How come I don't see many shooters taking there scope height to, or near, the 1.5" limit? I have seen some who do, but I don't recall seeing any of the top Master class shooters doing this, especially on there Hunting class rifles. This is legal in Hunting class correct?

I have installed BKL's two pc. risers on my hunting rifle, and find it definitely aiding me in comfort during dry firing anyway. I've not gotten to the range yet to sight in or try them. I have heard that the closer the optic to the bore the better (more accurate?). Is this true, and is this why not more shooters use them?

Offline billdncn

riser blocks?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 09:15:29 AM »
and is this why not more shooters use them?   :roll:

and is this why more shooters don't use them?   :wink:

Offline dave imas

• Avid Poster
riser blocks?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 12:04:30 PM »
Bill,

in concept, a higher scope allows for an erect head.  an erect head allows for a more correct shooting position.   this is largely dependent, however, on the stock one is using.  if the higher scope pulls your face away from the stock then you are creating a problem.  some stocks, the Anschutz Hunter stock for instance, do not have much of a comb.  the old remington 541 used a classic stock with no comb whatsoever.  the stock dictating that the scope could not be to high.  we have a limit on the height of the comb which, of course, limits the height of the scope from a functional accuracy standpoint.  keeping in mind there are two kinds of accuracy.  functional and intrinsic.  

i shoot a 1 3/8" set up.  the Sako stocks have a higher comb which allows for this.  the Nesika Bay stocks have a higher comb as well.  I haven't seen Mark Pharr's stock in person but the pictures indicate that he has also gone in that direction.  if you keep track you might see a trend of higher scopes/mounts on rifles with stocks that have higher combs.

does this ramble make any sense?

dave

Offline DanDeMan

• Avid Poster
riser blocks?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 12:15:20 PM »
Yo Imas,

You asked:

"does this ramble make any sense?"

Yup, perfect cents.  Did you pick-up that new super shooter wiz-bang HSB rifle yet?  When are you heading down this way for a little work on the trigger?
All the best,

Dan Theodore

Offline billdncn

riser blocks?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 12:50:46 PM »
Is the max. height of the comb the bore's center line?

If the scope is high off of the comb, or if you have a low comb, could it then kind of be used similar to the old "chin guns"? Not quite as exagerated. Just a different point of cheek/chin pressure.

1-3/8", that is about what I have with the BKL setup.

Can you explain the 2 types of accuracy, functional and intrinsic?

Offline hh4064

• Avid Poster
????????
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 01:32:41 PM »
Who is BKL and how do I contact them????

Offline dave imas

• Avid Poster
riser blocks?
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 01:38:25 PM »
i don't have a rule book in front of me but i believe it is 1/2" over the center line of the bore.  now that i am noodling it i think it reads a bit differently than that...  somebody help me out here...

another rule book thingy...  i believe they wrote rules that speak to the chin gun position and, basically, are greatly discouraging it.  not to worry.  i had a chin gun.  you are better off with the traditional hold.  trust me on this one.

intrinsic accuracy:  150lb rail gun.  locked down, electronic trigger, everything one can possibly do to remove all the variables and achieve the highest level of accuracy possible.  great for testing scopes, loads, barrels...

functional accuracy:  150lb rail gun isn't so easy to shoot in the off-hand position.  functionally, it isn't very accurate at all.  a functionally accurate rifle allows the shooter to get as close to intrinsic accuracy as he/she can while in position.   this is the chase...  getting our rifles more functionally accurate.  getting our equipment to allow us to shoot benchrest sized groups while we are standing up.

You will hear folks say their equipment will out shoot them...  This is a tricky statement.  can I shoot smaller groups with my rifle off the bench than i can with it standing up?  of course.  does this mean my rifle can out shoot me?  mmmmm.....  yes.  okay.  i'll buy that for a buck...  

but does my rifle, its configuration, balance, weight, scope height, magnification, length of pull, trigger reach....  blah blah blah...  does it's configuration allow me to get as close to it's bench accuracy while shooting off-hand as possible???  That is the real question.  my rifle has to work with me, not against me.  

this is why you see people dancing about with triggers, scope height, weight and balance, reach...  trying to enhance functional accuracy.

and still...  the old rule holds true.  if the shooter doesn't have the skill...  doesn't matter how good the rifle is.

damn can i ramble!!!
dave

Offline nomad

• Contributor
riser blocks?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 03:47:20 PM »
www.bkltech.com

Hunter is 1.5" maximum height measured from top of receiver to bottom of scope tube.
E Kuney