Author Topic: What traditional broadhead?  (Read 32085 times)

Offline kernman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: What traditional broadhead?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »
Has anyone tried the Spitfire mechanicals in a recurve?

My local archery shop guy swears by them. He said they fly to the same point of impact as field points, and they don't plane like fixed broadheads.

He claims they open reliably on deer, even with 40 pound recurves like mine. He showed me pictures on his wall of hogs and even elk taken with recurves and Spitfires. He was extremely passionate, and very convincing.

But he was even willing to trade the 100-grain Spitfires he sold me (never used) for some Muzzys if I insisted on it.

Others say stay away from mechanicals in traditional equipment because it does not have the kinetic engery to open them reliably.

What do you all think?

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 04:26:33 AM »
I wouldn't use mechanicals out of any bow, compound or recurve, but that's just my opinion. I like heavy duty, fixed, cut on contact, re-sharpenable blade broadheads. With the proper set-up, you can get real good flight out of'em.

Offline Frank V

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 02:43:59 PM »
Read Dr. Ed Ashby's report on mechanicals in the Oct/Nov TBM. He doesn't think too much of them. There are some interesting pictures too!
Frank
" U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Offline msgfox

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2009, 06:14:28 PM »
Bear (original when I can find some) Broadheads - always have had good flight and good penetration (complete pass through for 2 close deer -15 yds max from ground blind). Easy to sharpen with file. Don't use the bleeder.

Would like to try the H.Hill broadhead someday.

JP

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 09:32:53 PM »
I like Magnus Snuffers because they are easy to sharpen with a small file I have. I can leave the broadhead on the shaft and stroke across two blades at a time, and have the head hair shaving sharp in a very short time. I also like the three blade design over two bladed designs based on bloodtrails I have followed using both. The two blade heads leave a "slit" in the animal which doesn't allow blood to flow as freely as the "hole" the three blade makes.

I also like Magnus because Mike Sohm stands behind his heads with a lifetime guarantee. Hard to beat that in addition to the fact that they work tremendously well. :grin:

I have used the Snuffers for over 20 years.  Tried the two blades even with the bleeders (4blade Eskimo/Delta) and the snuffers just seem to leave a bigger blood trail.  Alot has been written about the efficiency of the 4 bladed head but I have yet to see it.  I have just had much better luck with the 3 blade and if you shoot a heavy enough bow the Snuffers are the way to go.
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2010, 04:54:13 PM »
Stubshaft - Magnus Snuffers are a very good BH, and was high on my list to go to this year, and just may for my traditional arrow needs now.

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 12:31:51 PM »
Stubshaft - Magnus Snuffers are a very good BH, and was high on my list to go to this year, and just may for my traditional arrow needs now.

You might take a look at these also ;): http://www.woodsman.com/WWbroadheads.asp

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 12:50:30 PM »
Thunderheads.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 08:27:35 AM »

You might take a look at these also ;): http://www.woodsman.com/WWbroadheads.asp

JonD, I am currently looking at these for using from my Bear Kodiak and my longbow after it is finished.  I like what I have read about them, and their lifetime warrenty and the weight grain that they do offer, not to mention a great price as well at 3 Rivers Archery products.

Thanks
Jon

Offline All Hawks Kill

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
  • Clingy Christian Redneck Gun Owner!
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2010, 02:25:01 AM »
I've mostly been a Magnus Snuffer guy most of my 30+ years.  I've tried many other broadheads but always seem to come back to the Snuffers.  The only head I ever found to be close to them is the Woodsmans but I don't think they are a s tough as the Snuffers.  Some of the reasons I stick with the Snuffers are;
1. They fly straight
2. They are tough and stand up to many shots, practice, misses and kills
3. They are easy to sharpen, and hold an edge
4. Massive Blood trails
5. Massive Blood trails
6. and of course Massive Blood trails.
"Duty is Our's; Consequences are God's" - Stonewall Jackson
Lone Star Bowhunters Association
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bounty-Hunter-Traditional-Arrows/136041049773118?v=wall&ref=sgm

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2010, 06:22:59 AM »
I've mostly been a Magnus Snuffer guy most of my 30+ years.  I've tried many other broadheads but always seem to come back to the Snuffers.  The only head I ever found to be close to them is the Woodsmans but I don't think they are a s tough as the Snuffers.  Some of the reasons I stick with the Snuffers are;
1. They fly straight
2. They are tough and stand up to many shots, practice, misses and kills
3. They are easy to sharpen, and hold an edge
4. Massive Blood trails
5. Massive Blood trails
6. and of course Massive Blood trails.

Now that is 7 good reasons to just use this broadhead.  30+ year testiment of its use, and the other 6 reasons listed.  I just checked the price on these, and you just can not beat the 6 pk deal you get under $30.00 with the Magnus lifetime warrentee http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/snuffers.html

And I can get the heavy weight broadhead that I want to use as well.

Man this is a WIN WIN for me...

FYI look at these Magnus Snuffer Images of both hunting as well as this awesome broadhead.

Offline Frank V

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 03:07:53 PM »
I use Zwicky,Magnus, & Eclipse. A friend gave me a Wensell Woodsman & I may try it this year.
Frank
" U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »
I prefer the Bear Razorhead.  I works really well.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline S.S.

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2010, 06:31:28 PM »
About as traditional as there is.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 04:38:09 AM »
Can't speak for several of the broadheads sugested, but based on my own testing of what I already use I would stick with what I use already and that is Zwickey's.

Reasons
#1 tripple strength point.
#2 easy to sharpen or fix any bur.
#3 flies like a dart from either traditional or compound bow.
#4 kills just as good as any new broadhead on the market.
#5 price $18.50 for 6 pk.
#6 American labor, American made.
#7 Been on the market since 1938
#8 Been making masive blood trails since 1938

Every year bowhunters buy into the thinking they need new broadheads, because they think the next new one on the market is gonna kill better, dead is dead.  Old style broadheads are still doing it, just as good, just as dead with blood trails that a blind man can follow.

I still believe in Dr Ed Ashby Reports

Offline hoot gibson

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2011, 05:54:43 PM »
i used obsidian or flint . the reason . there is no lung left to have just a hole cut through it . their lungs explode like they were hit with a slug gun .  nuttin buy gravy left . i have taken at least 15 deer with them , and they all had the same ending .

osta.