Author Topic: Question about a Lee Breech Lock Challenger press?  (Read 533 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Question about a Lee Breech Lock Challenger press?
« on: June 06, 2010, 06:07:14 AM »
Well I got my first loads loaded and will be going to the range very soon today to see witch one shoots best. I am loading for my 22-250 and I loaded 4 each starting at 38 grains, 38.5, 39, 39.5, 40, 40.5,and 41 grains. That load at 41 grains is a max load and I would say a compressed load because the powder charge is to the top of the case. You have to shake it down while the funnel is on it so it does not spill out. I am a little concerned about that load and may not even fire it. I am going to be watching for pressure signs along the way as I get to that load. Out of the ones I loaded I am looking for the one that groups tightest at 100 yards. I will then load all my loads with that one. I am using 50 grain Molly coated V-Max bullets. Well now for my question. I deprimed and full length sized 80 brass yesterday. Well out of the 80 brass only 9 primers ended up in the tube that is supposed to catch spent primers. It was not that big of a deal seeing as I just moved the trash can over to where they were flying to and it just caught the spent primers. Do any of you that have this press know why? What am I doing wrong? Oh one other thing I have the system with the Lee Saftey Prime on it. You prime your brass using the press. I have to say that is a pretty good system and worked flawlessley and I like it. I like this press and Lee kit and think it was a good deal to get started reloading. I just don't like the decapping process. Thanks and take care Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline fastchicken

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Question about a Lee Breech Lock Challenger press?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 06:37:54 AM »
If you don't have the priming arm in the ram it won't deflect the primers to the tube, I've never had one miss as long as the arm is in [and set out to the side, not up in the prime position, well it should fall to the side on it's own on the up stroke].

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 06:52:51 AM »
If you don't have the priming arm in the ram it won't deflect the primers to the tube, I've never had one miss as long as the arm is in [and set out to the side, not up in the prime position, well it should fall to the side on it's own on the up stroke].
Thank you very much. That is my problem for sure. Well I am off to the range now to test my loads. See you all later. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 07:02:17 AM »
  Well out of the 80 brass only 9 primers ended up in the tube that is supposed to catch spent primers. It was not that big of a deal seeing as I just moved the trash can over to where they were flying to and it just caught the spent primers.

My RCBS does the same thing and that's EXACTLY what I did, moved the waste basket to the right spot to catch the spent primers.
I got kinda tired of that and did make a personal improvement/modification to the system.

I bought a larger 13 gal kitchen size waste basket,  ;D the toughest part was color choice. But Walmart made it easy that day, they where out of black and only had white and brown, I chose the basic white, it kinda goes with everything  ;)
found elsewhere