Author Topic: cast bullet success  (Read 839 times)

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
cast bullet success
« on: July 06, 2010, 01:39:01 PM »
i've been screwing around for a while trying to get a cast bullet to shoot well in my old winchester 32 special with mixed results. I went to the range yesterday with some new stuff to try....170 gr FN plain base bullets i bought from Oregon Trail and some 4759 i picked up a couple weeks ago. I had loads with 13 grs,14grs,and 15grs of 4759. The 13 gr load wanted to string vertically for some reason, but the 14 gr and the 15 gr load both did 3 shot groups of 1-1 1/2 " at 50 yds and that's with a Lyman tang sight and post front sight. That's as good as i can shoot with iron sights anyway. The 15 gr load should be right at 1600 fps according to the data i used(no chrono). When i got home i took a good look at the bore, no leading, i wasn't even planning on cleaning it. So i have a 170 gr bullet at 1600 fps that shoots as comfortably as a rimfire and will go an inch at 50 yds with iron sights in one of the nicest,handiest guns to carry around(m94 winchester). Probly work on deer out to 100 yds or so........

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: cast bullet success
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:23:21 PM »
You really need to check out Ranch Dog's molds for the 32 spl. Prolly the best bullet out there for those rifles. Loaded properly you can go from popgun to full power with the same bullet. Just google up ranch dog. Last I looked he had some of those molds left for sale.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline zoner

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 02:59:18 AM »
thanks for the info but  at this time i'm not a bullet "caster"...i kinda need to buy ready made bullets. I have a real bad habit....a job,that is. I have "X" amount of free time and would prefer to spend what spare time i have shooting. After i retire(soon) i will have much more spare time for such things as bullet casting,etc :D

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:16:42 AM »
If you're buying bullets, I'd suggest you slug your bore and specify the correct diameter for your bore (I'm not sure if Oregon Trail has multiple diameters available for each bullet, but many mfgs. do). A lot of bullet casters make their bullets and their lube harder than necessary for shipping purposes. But, if you and your gun like the load you found, keep it up!

Offline zoner

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 01:11:41 PM »
the bullets that worked good for me went .322

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 01:42:54 PM »
I wonder what is wrong with 1" to 1.5" at 50 yards with tang sights?...

If I wasn't a boolit caster and was working within a budget, I wouldn't change a thing...

Experimenting with different cast boolits and molds can be very expensive and the increase (maybe) in accuracy can be very expensive per little decrease in group sizes...

Custom molds are even more pricey.  I have all manufacture standard molds and they work very well in everyhing I shoot cast boolits in...

Stay with what you got and later down the road, maybe upgrade...

Good-luck...BCB

Offline zoner

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 02:54:57 AM »
i agree....i'm not changing anything. Those Oregon Trail bullets come to me at $58.00 per 500....to me the price is real good. The bullets shoot as accuratly as i can hold with iron sights. Gettin 1600fps and no leading with a plain base bullet is pretty much what i was looking for this rifle...Mike