Author Topic: Carriage price  (Read 798 times)

Offline Jax

• Trade Count: (0)
Carriage price
« on: June 07, 2010, 03:44:42 PM »
Im looking into getting a new addition and I have pretty much found what I like from 2 different sellers, 1 with carriage 1 without.  With the Carriage is $300 more than just barrel.  15in barrel golf ball bore size.  Im not sure I should post the links, but will if its ok.  One is a sponsor, the other is not. 

Justin

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Carriage price
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:50:22 PM »
Im looking into getting a new addition and I have pretty much found what I like from 2 different sellers, 1 with carriage 1 without.  With the Carriage is $300 more than just barrel.  15in barrel golf ball bore size.  Im not sure I should post the links, but will if its ok.  One is a sponsor, the other is not. 

Sure post the links.  What do you want to know!!!

Offline Jax

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:58:50 PM »
Im wondering is the carriage pictured in the first link is worth $300 or should I just try to build my own??  I kinda like the look of the barrel that is on the carriage.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976993246/Guns/Rifles/Cannons/Modern-Replica/1_3_4_GOLF_BALL_FIELD_CANNON.htm#

http://blackpowder-cannons.com/barrels.htm   Item # CB-5

I am waiting to hear back from the Gunsmoke guy with more details of the cannon
Justin

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:28:55 PM »
second link is ok , but I cant open the first one
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:35:52 PM »
second link is ok , but I cant open the first one

both worked for me just now.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 06:00:58 PM »
I can't say whether that carriage is worth $300 or not.  If you can't make one yourself, you don't have much choice other than finding someone else to make one.  And even if you can make one, maybe your time is worth more than the $300. 

Something like that can easily take 10 to 20 hours to make.  10 hours would be $30 per hour, assuming free materials; 20 hours would be $15 per hour, again assuming free materials.  Clearly the materials aren't going to be free so the hourly rate is even less.  How long does it take you to earn $300 after taxes?  $300 is three tanks of gas for my truck.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Asron87

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:24:44 PM »
Jax,

When I first started getting into cannons I was looking at buying the same cannon you're looking at from Guns America. To be honest GBO has helped me to much to go with anyone other than a sponsor. I ended up buying the can sized mortar from blackpowder-cannons and plan on buying from two other GBO sponsors this summer. Stick around long enough and you'll find it hard to give support anywhere else.

Aaron

Offline Jax

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 02:31:26 PM »
GGaskill, I see your point.  I have been looking into building a scale field carriage, and the wheels alone were going to cost $75-$100 each.  The wheels alone are more that 1/2 of the price.  I also understand supporting the sponsors, but if I get a barrel that strong, Im not sure I could build a carriage that would hold up to constant use.   I still have some time until I have the funds, so I haven't made my mind up just yet.  Was just looking for that size gun for a decent price.
Justin

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 06:05:44 AM »
Dom's item CB5 is what I'd go with .

He can build you a nice carriage too . Call him up he'll work with you too , maybe just supply you with some wheels and you can do the rest ....?

I agree with Asron87 on going with a sponser .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »
The wheels alone are more than 1/2 of the price.

You have to keep in mind that one wheel has more parts than the rest of the carriage.  As an example, a 12 spoke wheel has 12 spokes, 6 felloes, the nave (hub which might be multiple pieces if large enough), four nave bands, dowels, the tire and 6 tire screws and nuts and washers.  And if you are really making a repro wheel, there will be some metal innards for the nave, too.

True wheels are complicated.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill