Author Topic: Veteran's Day and a Mis-Labled Cemetery Cannon  (Read 566 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Veteran's Day and a Mis-Labled Cemetery Cannon
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:43:48 AM »
      Yesterday, on Veteran’s Day, Mike and I continued a tradition that we enjoy.  Each year we try to visit a different cemetery and honor our Military Service members who have passed on.  This year we went to Fairmount Cemetery in Glendale, Colorado, a southern Denver suburb located near Lowry Field.  We dragged Gary along this year, so we had three services represented, Army, Navy and the Marines.  This is a medium sized cemetery and we found the military section quickly with it’s curved ranks of white marble headstones.  We also found a cannon.
Tracy,  Mike and Gary

A Coast Artilleryman, may he rest in peace.

Relatively speaking, other than in the mountains, we have very few trees in Colorado.  Those that do take root can become quite aggressive!

Lots of WWI vets were laid to rest here.

Mike is seen through this gun’s 14 spoke, dished, artillery wheels studying headstone inscriptions.  These Civil War style wheels do not have the Archibald hubs.

Model 1885?  Well, not really.  This gun is the far more common Model 1897 with the axial vent through it’s  DeBange type breech block spindle.  This also makes it a smokeless powder burner with a smaller chamber than the first Model, the 1885 which had a larger chamber for BP and a radial vent like the Civil War guns.

More evidence she ain’t an 1885.

Where the carriage was made, Rock Island Arsenal 1899.

Can you see the cover held in place by a slotted screw in the middle of the 1897 breechblock?  That’s a travel cover to keep dust and dirt out of the primer well where you place a friction primer.

Mike discovered this important safety hardware on the carriage.  It is a deflector plate which protects the crew from flying fragments of the friction primer and hot propellant gasses.

Gary points out little crescent shaped dents in the vent shield proving that this piece was fired during it’s service life.

Unusually shaped Capsquares adorn this gun with keeper keys and chain retained cross bolts.

An unsuspecting passerby walks up to the gun. Gary blocks his exit to the south, Mike blocks him to the North and Tracy gives him a big Teddy Roosevelt handshake that physically moves him to a position where he is pinned between the wheel’s front and the Chase so he can’t get away!  After a 20 minute lecture about artillery, Span-Am War, long range accuracy, BP-white smoke VS smokeless powder, no recoil abatement system, etc., etc.  by the three artillery nuts, he staggered away muttering to himself.  Mission Accomplished!

Gary is a functional investigator.  If it’s not welded, he will get it to move.  Very little preponderance on this gun tube, maybe 20 pounds max.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Re: Veteran's Day and a Mis-Labled Cemetery Cannon
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 02:32:05 PM »
What a fine way to spend Veteran's Day!  Lest we forget you three are also due a salute and thanks.  I truly regret the necessity of missing the chance to meet all of you in August.  Next time the wife will just have to adjust her schedule to fit. 
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:46:48 AM »
That gun looks to be in very complete condition except for the wrong wheels..... and some day I will
find one to own..... I have always liked that gun ever since studying the one on Long Island..... I wonder
if it was standard practice to use the sight box lid as a safety device or somthing the crew figured out.....
though they must of wired it in the up position because it would tend to fall with recoil.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 03:25:24 PM »
     LS,   We thank you and we all can honestly say it was an honor for each of us to serve and we would do it all again if we were a little younger, well maybe a lot younger!  We also look forward to a meet when you come to Colorado or when we make another research tour through the southern states.

KABAR2,   We also like this cannon a lot.  Despite it's volumes of white smoke when the Spanish had smokeless in 1898, despite it's lack of a recoil compensation system, we still like it a lot especially it's reputation for accurate fire.  Is the sight box you spoke of one which drops into the void under the cover which was utilized as a fired friction primer deflector.  There is a 1" wide heavy sheet metal flange all the way around the bottom edge of the "box".  But most of the boxes "bottom" is daylight!  If you ever get one of these and decide to test fire it over on the beach near Fort Story, well.....an invitation would be nice!

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 03:28:10 AM »
M&T,
The one on Long Island still had it's bottom and some machined wood blocks to hold I am guessing sights and or other tools...  Don't worry if one falls into my lap I'll be sending out invitations....

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium