Author Topic: Building A Garden Bench  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
Building A Garden Bench
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:29:13 PM »
  I've been wanting to build a bench to have out by the garden, and a couple days ago i FINALLY decided to get started on it..... and here it is,

I pretty much just built it out of some scrap lumber i had in my "odds & ends" lumber pile,

I knew i was going to want to build several of them, so i made up a "jig", to make building them MUCH faster, here's the jig,

To use it, you cut all the parts out, and start out by putting the legs, and one back support in the "jig", like in the "left" pict...  For the opposite side of the bench, you put the back support in the jig like the "right" pict.,

I like to use a good quality exterior adhesive on my outdoor projects, so with liquid nails on the mating parts, and with the leg brace in place, screw or nail it together.  Make sure you use good PT (pressure treated) rated nails or screws IF you use PT lumber.  I think it's a good idea to use them anyway on a project that will sit out side.

The "jig" also holds the legs in the right position, so i can put the bottom boards, and back on,

And with that done, you have a strong and "very" comfortable bench to sit on and admire your garden!

DM

Offline Possumcop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: Building A Garden Bench
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »
Nice bench, you'll like that!!! I have 2 Aldo Leupold benches 1 on my patio and 1 at the garden. These are simple to build and very comfortable. I have added 2 sets of plans, etc. I built mine out of pressure treated wood and left them natural.

About:
To spy a Leopold bench in someone's yard is to know something about the family who there resides. Even if you haven't read Leopold's opening lines, "There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot. These essays are the delights and dilemmas of one who cannot," from A Sand County Almanac, you will appreciate this easy-to-build bench. If left untreated, this stable bench develops a characteristic gray patina, however, putting some preservative where bench meets ground will prolong its life. Its form, resting alone under a tree or in congregation around a firepit, reminds us of Leopold's thoughtfulness:

"When some remote ancestor of ours invented the shovel, he became a giver: He could plant a tree. And when the axe was invented, he became a taker: He could chop it down. Whoever owns land has thus assumed, whether he knows it or not, the divine functions of  creating and destroying plants."

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant, 'What good is it?' If the land mechanism as a whole is good, then every part is good, whether we understand it or not. If the biota, in the course of aeons, has built something we like but do not understand, then who but a fool would discard seemingly useless parts? To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering."

Materials: One 2x6x33", one 2x10x30", one 2x8x10', six 3/8"x 31/2" carriage bolts with washer and nut, twelve 3/8" x 31/2" #12 or #14 flathead wood screws. Use Douglas Fir for your Leopold bench, if you can, and customize its size to suit you. The materials listed will make a 33" bench, but you may choose to build out to 48".
"Be who you are, say what you think, people that matter don't care, and
people that care don't matter." -- Dr. Seuss