Author Topic: Range Finders  (Read 571 times)

Offline Birddog 1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Range Finders
« on: May 23, 2010, 08:54:34 AM »
I need your help I am looking at Leupolds RX II range finder I need any and all feed back will use it for archery and muzzle loaders mostly.TIA Nim
If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to.
This is the last stand on earth.
R.R. 1964

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear armes is as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in goverment.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rvtrav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Range Finders
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 09:19:48 AM »
  Nim,

I bought a leupold RXII for the hunts last year. I mostly wanted a range finder for the flat open country of wyoming to hunt antelope.

I think it would work excellent for archery and muzzleload hunting, I found it very accurate and simple to use from 3 yards out to about 300 yards...

After 300 yards or so, it has a tough time "seeing" the animal or target ( bright or dim, live animal or not)that you want to read the distance of. The lighting has to be just right and the target quite plain for the range finder to do it's job.

On rare occasion it will live up to the 600 yard ranging as advertised, but only when the planets and stars align and the moon is in the right phase.

I don't know if all rangfinders have the same shortcomings or just the RX II. I also haven't had any other brand rangefinder experience to compare performance with the RXII.

Good luck, RVtrav

Offline Ethan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 03:55:31 PM »
I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!! they are not clear, not accurate, hard to use, to many settings, I would get a Nikon Archers Choice or Rifle Hunter 550
"A good man always knows his limitations”

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 05:48:57 PM »
I believe retrav has hit on a good point.  In the poor light that is common during hunting season the ranging ability of rangefinders demises.  Even in good light my Nikon Monarch Laser800 is not an 800 yard rangefinder.  It is great out to 400-yards under most legal light conditions.  It has high quality glass and does not fog up.  When it comes to archery and muzzle loaders with more limited range my glass would not be at a disadvantage.

There is a wall of a drainage I watch every now and then.  I have seen deer at 450 and 650 yards.  I just checked the charts and my 160-grain bullet drops 69 inches at that distance.  The same load drops 19.83 inches at 450-yards.  I normally pick a lone juniper tree to get the range over there.  A buckskin log (dropped the bark) reflects a lot of light is a good target.  The value of the rangefinder might be to pass on the shot and look for a better opportunity.

While hiding behind the sliding glass door overlooking our back deck the other day I ranged a skunk at 26.0 yards then retreated hoping he would not stink up the place.

I was surprised how much I over estimated distance after I got my rangefinder.  A visiting brother was surprised at how often and how far he over estimated range.  He was so impressed he ordered a Nikon rangefinder when he returned home.

My Nikon is fast to use, but many times I pre-range an area so that I do not lose an animal to the looking glass. 

Having discussed rangefinders with owners of other brands I have come to the conclusion that getting one rated for 1200-yards or more should provide reliable ranging under hunting conditions.  They depend on reflective light that is not always there.  Suggest you get to a store with some on display.  A friend ordered a 1500-yard Bushnell rangefinder and did not like the glass.  He gave it to his adult son who loves it.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 04:39:10 AM »
I have a Nikon 550.  Clear, easy and accurate.

Offline rws2

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 03:43:58 AM »
I have a Swarovski and its one of the best investments I ever made! I also have a Nikon 800. The Swarovski will get it done in any light, ranges light or dark objects and all things inbetween. The Nikon works great in good light but mine needs bright clear days to range much past 500yds.

As for accuracy I see no difference worth getting excited about. Never more than 1-2yds difference in readout.

My Nikon will not read the at dawn or last light very often, the Swarovski reads in any light.