Author Topic: 1849 Colt with 6" barrel  (Read 1312 times)

Offline goodshot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
1849 Colt with 6" barrel
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:44:45 AM »
I recently saw an 1849 Colt that had been carried as a back up in the Civil War, .31 Caliber, about a 6" barrel.
Looks as though it is a slightly smaller edition of the 1851 Navy which was .36 Caliber.
 Anybody here know of a replica like this? I find the pocket model of course, with about a 4" barrel.
Best wishes,
 :)

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 1849 Colt with 6" barrel
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 09:44:01 AM »
Although Colt sold 31's with longer barrels, none of the repro makers do.  The only 6 inch on that frame is the 36 caliber Pocket Navy and 1862 (Uberti) Pocket Police.  They have rebated cylinders similar to the 1860 Army to get them up to 36 caliber.

The 1862 Pietta is just a shortened Navy, the Uberti is on a proper Pocket Pistol frame.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 04:47:29 PM »
Years ago, a longer barreled 1849 was listed in the Dixie Gun Works catalog, if I recall correctly.
Seems to  me it had either a 5 or 6-inch barrel.
I too have been looking for a longer barreled 1849 for a few years, without success. I wish someone would offer it again, with a 5 or 6-inch barrel. Seems to me it would be a good small game.
The Remington design with a longer barrel might be okay, but it's just too small for my hands.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 03:47:17 AM »
I had a repro with the longer barrel, back around 1972.  I bought it through the mail from EMF.  A nice little 5 shooter, I ended up giving it to a friend who had done me a favor and liked that little gun.  At the time, EMF's catalog showed a lot of models of Colt-style cap-n-ball repros, and I bought nearly every kind, except for the 1st Dragoon and revolving carbine. The pics in their catalogs didn't always tell the true tale though.  When I bought this particular 31 I thought I would be getting the shorter barrel version shown in the catalog.  Actually, all they were selling in that model at that time were ones with the longer barrels.  I even had the little eagle flask that went with it. Steel frame C-B revolvers back then were priced very reasonably.  Those EMF guns back then were made and finished very well, too. 

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:38:58 AM »
At one time or another, Dixie sold pocket models with 3, 4, 5.5, and 6 inch barrels made by Uberti or Palmetto.  They list a 5.5 inch Palmetto on their web site now.  CVA also sold them with 3, 4, and 5 inch barrels (these were made by ASM IINM).  These longer barreled pocket models show up on GB, GunsAmerica and Auction Arms from time to time. 

Good Luck in your search.

BTW, Palmetto doesn't have a great reputation; but, I've had a couple that were as good as anything else made at the time.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline FourBee

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 05:15:59 PM »
Okay; Fingers, you hit it.  I knew I'd seen something somewhere of these long barreled .31's, and when you said Dixie that's it.   Dixie Gun Works Catalog 2009, #158 ~ page 74.
It's a Palmeto, made in Italy for Dixie called the DIXIE HARTFORD M1849 POCKET with a 5 1/2" tapered octagon bbl.  overall length 10 1/2"; wgt 1.60 lbs.  price: $275.00

Palmeto productions are not highly recommended from what I've read.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline goodshot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:54:44 AM »
Gee you folks are great, I have found the reference to the longer barrel models in Dixie, and the Uberti 1862 pocket police. I will watch on the auction sites and probably get the current Uberti till I can acquire the longer barreled one.
Best wishes,
 :)

Offline StrawHat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 02:50:15 AM »
This followed me home last week so they are out there, but not easy to find.

This is a Baby Dragoon, 5 shot cylinder and a small triggerguard.  It makes for a tight fit in my hand.

Good hunting!
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous