Author Topic: Report on Knights NEW Ultimate Slam Rifle/Bolt/Breech Plug  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Report on Knights NEW Ultimate Slam Rifle/Bolt/Breech Plug
« on: February 14, 2009, 08:21:30 PM »
Looks like Toby has on of the new toys. He has shot up to 150 grain loads of BH209 out of it.

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/NewProducts6.html
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Lane

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Report on Knights NEW Ultimate Slam Rifle/Bolt/Breech Plug
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 03:43:09 PM »
Still hoping they will offer it in a 45 cal as well 8)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »
I hope so too Lane, but we can put the bolt and plug in our .45's if we want to. Would like to get one of the old 1:20 barrels, they were ahead of their time for saboted bullets, but would have worked perfectly for conicals like the White .451. Guess we will have to wait and see how it all plays out.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline MikeC

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 12:36:30 PM »
It looks like the bolt/breech plug will not fit the DISC Elite/Extreme. I would just like to reliably soot bh209 in my DISC Elite. I have both the red DISC & the replacement plug (domed) to use 209 primer without the DISC. After the snow goes and mud dries a bit, I will play to see if I get hang fires with these plugs. For the distance I hunt around these parts, 100 yrds is a rare long shot, so 777 has worked just fine. I just like to be able to use the latest setup. Perhaps after the Ultimate Slam has been out a while they will offer a conversion for the DISC Extreme.

I love my DISC Elite, and this new rifle sounds nice, but if the price is the same as a Savage 10ML it will be a hard choice for me. The Savage would let me shoot BH209 as well as smokeless.

Offline Simpleman96

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 03:07:02 PM »
MikeC:
   In my Disc Ext (Standard Breech Plug). I use the red plastic jackets with Federal 209A Primers with BH 209 and it goes boom EVERY time. No issues in rain, shine, cold or freezing cold. What reliability issues are you having?

Offline MikeC

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »
I am waiting for spring to get out and try. I have just been reading mixed reports on the web, some saying they do work and some saying they don't. I intend to try it out for myself once the weather changes. I would never part with my DISC Elite in either case, I just like the look and feel and it's a shooter with 777. I wouldn't mind a little easier cleaning, but it really isn't that bad and 777 is less expensive.

Here are some of the cons:
http://www.biggamehunt.net/forums/archive/o_t__t_16503__new-and-quotblack-horn209-powder-and-quot.html
http://www.realtree.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78206
http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Technical5.html

As for Pros:
Your experience
Busta indicated he uses it in his DISC extreme with good results.
I had emailed someone else who used the red DISC successfully but can't put my finger on it just yet

There really is no substitute for personal experience, and I didn't mean to imply the combination doesn't work. Re-reading my post, I see I should have worded it differently, sorry about that.

-MikeC

Offline rt_con

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 01:29:29 PM »
Hi Mike C,
I, like you, am uncertain regarding BH209 in my .50 Elite. My Elite shoots lights out with 777 and I have only tried BH209 at 2 range sessions.  I got good ignition with the factory breach plug and Fed 209A primers, but frankly the groups sucked and there was a lot more primer fouling in the breach area. I suspect the fouling was from the hot Fed primer, not the BH209.  When using my Elite with 777 ( I use the domed - Revolution plug and W209 primers) it was so simple to get great groups with loose fitting sabots and mild primers with almost no primer fouling. 8)

I'm convinced BH209 works best with very tight fitting saboted bullets and hot primers. I intend to keep trying BH209 ... but it's clear to me that my 777 loads just don't work well by substituting BH209.  >:( Grouse and Propeller Head on this forum gave me some BH209 loads to try.  I'll let you know how they work.

Hey, in a couple months Knight may have their retro-fit Ultimate Slam bolt and breach plug for our Elites and Extremes.   ;)

Good luck...Rob
Rob C

Offline farmerboy78

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 10:18:42 AM »
alright guys, im a new member and have some very useful information for you all.  i agree the plastic disc sucks, and it is difficult to get the other breech plugs to get a good fit when they arent intended for the muzzleloader you are using. i myself have a knight disc elite topped off with a bushnell banner 3-9x40 that has the sight window and caliber distinct turrets ( about $100). i do as well shoot the blackhorn 209 and i tell you it is the best thing out there.  as far as breech plugs, go to lehigh bullets and they have a breech plug designed for the disc elite specifically for the blackhorn 209.  it uses ventliners like the savage ml-II uses.  and also i use a bullet made by prbullets called the dead center.... i am sighted with the 220 gr and i will be testing the high b.c. 195 duplex dead center to see if it shoots better. but the 220 gr bullets stack @ 100 yds, and have shot them out to 150yds.  the knight disc elite with lehigh bullet breech plug, blackhorn 209, and pr bullets is a deadly distance shooting piece of equipment.  pr bullets recommends 110 gr of blackhorn 209 with all of their bullets.  the breech plug from lehigh bullets for right at $40 shipped. and the pr bullets are $19.95 shipped for 12 bullets.  with the lehigh breeech plug you will use a bare 209 primer and is extracted from the nipple upon bolting back the action. if anyone wants pictures just let me know 

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 04:27:54 AM »
what primer did you use?  Have been thinking about this set up. Also what scope mounts are you talking about.  I have been looking for a set that I can remove the scope & clean & return to zero.  Mike

Offline farmerboy78

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 03:47:30 PM »
i have tried about 4 different types of primers and they all worked fine, cci 209m seem to be the best.  and i am using leupold QR rings and bases to remove my scope and it seems to keep its zero after removing. 

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 03:05:33 AM »
 Good report above. I recently did some shooting with the Lehigh Gen II breech plug in my Knight Extreme. There seem to be similarities between this BP & some features on the one for this new Knight. The Lehigh is optimized for B209, & uses a bare primer. I had great ignition, the bolt area was much cleaner, & the spent primer fell right out. I'll be using this Lehigh BP for this Fall's hunting.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 03:24:19 AM »
Thanks Busta I'll probably buy one.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~