Author Topic: switching from metal to plastic containers by powder companies?  (Read 2348 times)

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Re: switching from metal to plastic containers by powder companies?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 07:26:14 PM »
Notice all the gasoline containers are plastic now. Don't think they draw the moisture like a steel can. I've taken several of the 4# jugs, and cut down the sides, and leave the handle's on them. Make dandy scoops for dog or chicken food.(make sure you wash them out first!!Those eggs might pop alittle louder in the frying pan.)gypsyman

I wouldn't eat or drink from a container that was used for powder. If *I* wont do it,Im not going to let my pet do it either. (Ok,my stupid cat DOES eat plastic bags,but at least I TRY to stop him. He cost me 300 bucks once :-(  )

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 07:33:03 PM »
necchi; that's a good post you made.  :D   Especially " Static discharge ingniting powders, even sensitive black powder, is a myth. "  That is true, but like many things that have been passed on down thru the ages to be fact, when really it's myth, is pretty much cut in stone, and it'll stay that way.  ???

Im willing to believe that under normal usage,static is a minimal hazard,however one of the things we do where I work is investigate accidents involving flammable and explosive dust. Ive seen fine powder accumulate in the bottom of containers,and we know its flammable. Its also the case that one of the common reasons that flammable dust explosions happen is static. Im willing to bet under the right (probably rare) circumstances you could get a fire or explosion,but its probably more likely when processing bulk amounts rather than a small container. Its all about getting that critical explosive concentration of flammable dust in the air,and then having an ignition source. (One that surprises some people is grain like wheat. Grain silos are known to explode)

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 11:32:21 AM »

Posted by: mrussel    Its all about getting that critical explosive concentration of flammable dust in the air,and then having an ignition source. (One that surprises some people is grain like wheat. Grain silos are known to explode)

Dust can be highly explosive.   We've had flash fires occur on production lines where fans were used to cool the employees.  These fans collect fine dust, and over time, if not cleaned out they're like a bomb fixing to go off.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2010, 02:07:03 PM »
I started buying powder in about '87. I can't remember getting any powder in a metal can or paper container; all black plastic jars (1 lb. ea.).

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 04:01:35 PM »
mrussel, we had a major explosion at a grain elavator on the Maumee River here in Toledo. Since all they load onto the ships there is soybean,corn and wheat, it was the dust that exploded. There was no record of a worker doing any welding, or any maintance work on electrical lines. The only thing they came up with, it was extremely dry and hot, and static electricity set the hot dust off. Killed 3 or 4 workers, and shattered windows for blocks around. So, it can happen. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman