Author Topic: Pardner Turkey Gun recoil  (Read 3190 times)

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Pardner Turkey Gun recoil
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 12:13:54 PM »
I've been through the whole process of big guns. 459 mags, weatherby calibers, the 50 alaskan. I've owned and hunted with them all. Shotguns from 410 through 10ga. And up to the 454 casule in the handguns. In bows I used 85-90 lb recurves & longbows. Believe me the human body will not stand up to that kind of punishment forever. It will eventually break you down.  ;)  I'll be 65 in a couple of months and I understand where your comming from, I didn't believe it would at your age either, BUT IT WILL.  :o The 3&1/2" 12 gague is brutal, if I'm going to shoot a 3&1/2" shell I would reater it be a 10ga. However I still maintain it is not needed for a 20lb bird.

I've killed turkey & geese with 20,16,&12 ga guns shooting high brass 2&3/4" shells just fine if you will simply get within range.  ;D If your a skybuster you'll miss a lot regardless of the load....JME

Think about this, why are all our middle age athlets so broken down? The hunan body will only stand so much. Take care of yours you only get one.....

regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline TxGun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 06:34:12 PM »
Don't know about 3 1/2" 12 gauge loads out of an H&R...mine are all standard 3" 12s. But I do have the 10 gauge Camo Turkey version. It's not bad at all with #4 turkey loads. Of course, it's a 9 lb, shotgun, so that makes a difference.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2010, 08:05:15 AM »
Yes TxGun. If you pull the but pad off you'll see that 1" stick of steel they put there so it don't hurt so bad. But there guys are talking very lite guns for the recoil level. When I found the stick of steel in my NEF turkey gun I thought about it but decided it was wise to leave it there.9  lbs is about right with those loads..  ;D

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE