Author Topic: Garage Sale story  (Read 1233 times)

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
Garage Sale story
« on: May 28, 2010, 01:30:34 AM »
No, my friend didn't find an original Lemat for $100 (this ain't Antiques Roadshow) but he did reall good.
Picked up an unfired brass frame Remington .31 revolver (Pietta) with an unopened pound of Pyrodex P, AND a nice .410 Stevens single-shot, all for $50.
He brought them in the shop to crow about it.
You think I'm jealous? Darn right!

Offline Gatofeo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Garage Sale story
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 05:12:45 PM »
Heck of a deal!
I'm not a fan of brass framed guns, but in the little Remington .31 I doubt it makes much difference. You can't get enough powder in that small chamber to cause much pressure or damage to the recoil shield, I suspect.
I'd jump on that deal myself. I have a fondness for single-shot .410s. I gave my brother the only one I had, an old Stevens.
Later, a kindly old gent gave me a lever-action Marlin Model 410 built someone between 1929 and 1932. It's not a common gun, and I appreciate his magnamity. Based on the Marlin Model 93 rifle action, it will only take 2-1/2 inch shells, but for close range hunting of grouse or rabbits it's great!
Between that little .31 and the .410, I'd be hard-pressed to decide which to shoot first.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:59:44 AM »
I don't know about the .31 Remington. A good friend bought a steel framed version last winter and talk about cap jams! It locked up on a fired cap every single time. It was fire one shot and remove the cylinder (not easy) to clear the jamed cap. He quickly sold that gun as it was impossible to shoot.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 02:00:27 PM »
I don't know about the .31 Remington. A good friend bought a steel framed version last winter and talk about cap jams! It locked up on a fired cap every single time. It was fire one shot and remove the cylinder (not easy) to clear the jamed cap. He quickly sold that gun as it was impossible to shoot.
He hasn't shot it yet, since it's unfired and he thinks he might sell it later.
I told him I might give him $100 if he throws in the unopened pound of Pyrodex. I really can't afford it though.
I've read the .31's make a good trap line handgun, about .22 mag. effectiveness with the round ball.