Author Topic: Seacoast Mortar Plans?  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Freemax

• Trade Count: (0)
Seacoast Mortar Plans?
« on: July 01, 2010, 03:47:14 AM »
Hey all,
I have been scouring the archives and have decided make a scaled model of the Dictator mortar as a first time project.  I have searched and found one posted, but the link was dead (2007).  Any chance that someone has a copy?  I have been using Autocad to draw up sketches of what I want to do, and would gladly share the fruits of any labor.  I have been turning for sometime and recently got a 7x12 and would like to put it to good use.  I did find a 5/8" piece of brass stock and figured I could scale it down to use it and shoot BB's, bearings or pellets.  Any help, encouragement or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Cris.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Seacoast Mortar Plans?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 04:25:16 AM »
Hey all,
I have been scouring the archives and have decided make a scaled model of the Dictator mortar as a first time project.  I have searched and found one posted, but the link was dead (2007).  Any chance that someone has a copy?  I have been using Autocad to draw up sketches of what I want to do, and would gladly share the fruits of any labor.  I have been turning for sometime and recently got a 7x12 and would like to put it to good use.  I did find a 5/8" piece of brass stock and figured I could scale it down to use it and shoot BB's, bearings or pellets.  Any help, encouragement or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Cris.

Have you had a look at the Cannon link list in in our stickies?  Under Cannon Plans you will find a reference to Antique Ordnance Publishers. AOP publishes full scale drawings of Civil War Era artillery.  They do not have the 13 inch Dictator listed, but you should contact them and ask.  They have numerous inlisted plansets then can publish upon request.

Dictator wasn't brass it was iron.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:07:16 AM »
Actually, Number 41, the 13" Seacoast Mortar is the one you are looking for.  The basic dimensions are 43" OD, 13" ID and 53" length.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Freemax

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 05:47:38 AM »
Thanks,
I wanted to get one under my belt and then go from there. As for accuracy of the model, I think I should have clarified "loosely based on" in the original post.  After looking in the stickies, I did find some dimensional plans on some mortars.  Those may give me the direction I need.
Thanks for the replies.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:02:39 AM »
why not go all the way and make an perfectly scaled down model of the seacoast mortar ??

there are some members here at gbo who have confessed that thet regret that they didnt build an exact model instead of a loosely based shooter .

if you by any reason sometime in the future would like to sell your mortar you will get a much higher price for an exact scaled down replica of an existing piece of ordnance
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 06:14:37 PM »
Well , Welcome Aboard Freemax ! You did good by asking B4 you made something .
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 01:42:48 AM »
Freemax -

WELCOME!

AutoCAD eh?  I have and use an old (2000i) but legal copy that I do all my designs on (used to teach it).

I have a golf-ball dictator in progress (been so for YEARS) - someday...
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Freemax

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 05:03:16 AM »
Legal copy of Acad?  What is that?  Just kidding....  I am limited by a bunch of things, so what I have done is to draw out what I would like to do and then scale it down to either the stock I have or can easily get and what will work on my 7x12.  The drawing/design part is almost as fun as actually doing the work.