Author Topic: looking for 30mm/SF scope  (Read 694 times)

Offline notnodak

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
looking for 30mm/SF scope
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:12:46 PM »
What are my options for a less expensive scope for my AR15 with a 30mm tube and SideFocus? I'm fine with fixed 10x or variable up to 24 power. Must have actual yardage marks on SF. budget is less then $300 preferr around $100.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: looking for 30mm/SF scope
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 05:50:06 PM »
You have me scratching my head trying to think of anyone who makes any scope with a 30MM tube for $100.00. I know Super Sniper by SWFA makes a fixed 20 power in the 30MM tube for like $279.99. By the way from all reviews these are great scopes that have a milatary contract with them. I think for $100.00 you will be buying junk anyways. I am some what of a tight wad myself and have never bought a $100.00 scope. It is one of those things that you get what you pay for. I know of some decent 1" tube scopes that you could pick up for $150.00 or a little better that would serve you well. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 05:53:18 PM »
Wow!!!!!!!!! I just noticed you would also like a side focus for $100.00. I don't think they make such an animal unless you really like crap optics. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Dances with Geoducks

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 05:59:03 PM »
For an AR you want a 10 power SS by SWFA.
I use a 20x on my 06, and there is no way a AR will hit what I do
besides the field of vision is only 6 feet at 100 yards, VS 13 feet with a 10x.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 06:30:45 PM »
For an AR you want a 10 power SS by SWFA.
I use a 20x on my 06, and there is no way a AR will hit what I do
besides the field of vision is only 6 feet at 100 yards, VS 13 feet with a 10x.
Yea but the 10 power is like $319.99. That is over his price range. :o ;) Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 09:24:22 AM »
I forgot that Vortex Crossfire scopes also come in 30MM. Here is a link. Dale
http://swfa.com/Vortex-Crossfire-Rifle-Scopes-C1461.aspx?s=Name%20ASC&p=1

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 05:03:18 PM »
You aren't going to get what you want for what you are looking to pay.  Up your budget to around $400 and you can start getting into the optics arena that has the options you are looking for (30mm/SF).  The Vortex Viper and older Super Sniper Side focus are pretty decent optics and usually more reliable than most in their price range (especially the SS).

Actual yardage marks for the side focus are more of a good estimation.  You will not get a lot of scopes that are exactly on, but usually pretty close, you can combat that by just looking through the scope when you adjust parallax.  Really, the differences between lines and numbers isn't too important.

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 11:46:35 PM »
Not sure if these are avialble in the US or even how good they are ................... yet but this might suit:-

Falcon Menace 7.5x50,mildot reticle,sunshade,flipups,30mm tube,mounts,sidewheel parralax 1/4 moa target turrets. I believe they do other magnifications as well but 7.5x will suit me fine.

I just brought one off e-bay, like it ended last night...just  ;D so once it arives I will see what it's like and give it a try out. It's cost me $103 US including postage. yes it's Chinese made I believe but I see that it has gotten good reviews but we will see as I said. If I don't like it for any reason I will simply re-sell it.

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 05:43:32 AM »
Brithunter,

The Falcon Menace line has been available over here in the US for a little while.  At first, the Tacticool guys started raving about them and they got a few good reviews.  It seems like lately though, when I do see/hear anything about the Falcons they are getting mixed reviews.  One good thing about their line is that it gave a FFP scope with Mil/Mil adjustments.

I personally haven't seen any of the 7.5x scopes over here, but I have seen a couple of 10x, and several 4-14X FFP (in person).  Prices over here jumped back up into the near $400 range for the variable with side focus, and personally I think the SS scopes offer a bit better reliability.

You are correct, it is made in china, but supposedly the final QC went over in your backyard.  At one time the supply over here was halted because the QC guys found a bad batch, but that was a couple of years ago.

For some reason, as I'm looking up a website (Snipercentral.com) that had reviews, and even sold a few of the Falcon scopes on there, it looks like the Falcon reviews have been deleted, while the others remain.  Don't know if that is a good or bad thing, but interesting.

Either way, $103 isn't a lot.  At the very least you've got yourself another hammer if it doesn't work well as a scope for you.

Good luck.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 09:35:20 AM »
Well we will see  ;) I am not expecting Schmidt & Bender quality and I have never used a Mil Dot reticle before so we shall see. I am thinking of putting it on my P-H 1200v in 6mm Rem but will decide once it arrives and I give it the once over. Will then be able to judge what mounts I need. Actually I didn't expect to win it  ::) Oh hum.

It might just be good for the range but we will see how it goes. If I don't like it or the Mil Dot reticle then I will sell it on but let's hope it's a good un  ;) ;D.

Offline Bill,SC

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 03:34:03 PM »
Midway USA

BSA etched glass

6-24x50   30mm tube

$150  It may not still be on sale.
Hunt Smart, Hunt Safe, Hunter Education

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 06:30:57 PM »
Natchez Shooters Supplies

see page 14 of Natchez internet catalog found on right side of website opening page and check:

Barska Swat Tactical 6-24X44IR (with rings)   $139