Author Topic: New range bag, what to include in it?  (Read 634 times)

Offline billmaly

• Trade Count: (0)
New range bag, what to include in it?
« on: October 20, 2003, 08:38:10 AM »
So I'm at the Home Center this weekend, and I was going to buy a small toolbox for my muzzleloading gear. Instead, I found this:

One look, and I knew it was my new range bag. It'll hold at least 8 boxes of shotgun shells, or just a lot of misc. gear. But I digress...

I plan to use this bag to shoot mostly pistol and muzzleloader, but COULD empty it out, fill it with shells and head to the trap range.

I got home and proceeded to start filling it. So far, I've included in it (in no particular order):

Ear muffs (for myself) and earplugs (for others who are my guests or who are at the range plinking .22 who shouldn't have to endure my BLASTing unprotected)
Binoculars
Sharpie Pen
Muzzleloading tools (nipple wrench, various jags)
Muzzleloading solvent
Cleaning patches
Borelight
Multitip screwdriver

Need to include a small notebook, some rags, various bore brushes (clearing blockages/emergency use, not for cleaning which is not done at range, do that when I get home) as well as a small garbage bag for dirty patches and misc range clutter.

All that said...what else do I need to stuff inside here to make sure I am good to go with my bag? I've never had a "range bag" before, and have always thrown together various pieces of gear as needed (haphazard at best!)?

Offline jhm

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 01:11:59 PM »
billmally: I always carried my own staple gun to hang targets when going to a public range, as they never have enough to go around and they dont always work. a sandwhich bag with some of the handiwhips that come in a individual package just to clean me up after shooting and such, and dont forget lead and powder. small first aid kit bandaidsand such. :D   JIM

Offline billmaly

Oh yes...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 01:50:44 PM »
Forgot to mentiont the staple gun that's in there, as well as bullets and powder for the muzzleloader. That's covered.

Small first aid kit and some baby wipes...that's a good suggestion! I'll be sure to add it!

Offline KN

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 04:18:01 PM »
A LIST!!! Every time I go to the range without checking my "LIST" I end up forgetting some thing inportant.  KN

Offline savageT

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 03:33:51 PM »
billmaly,
I use one of those plastic gun vices with compartment bases for patches, solvents, flashlight, screwdrivers, nipple wrench, jag, Otis Cleaning Kit, etc.  I also went to Wal-Mart and bought a nice plastic tackle box large enough to carry 1lb. of powder, can of primers, more solvents and borebutter (Yuk!), patches, bullets/sabots, CO2 discharger,tools, shortstarter, etc.
When going to the range I've brought along shooting bags, spotting scope and tripod, targets, and toolbag (just like you describe) that contains staplegun and spare staples, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.  The toolbag goes with me just about everywhere I travel.
As you can see, I try to bring the whole Reloading/Shooting Bench with me!!

When hunting w/ muzzleloader, I carry an over the shoulder "Possibles Bag", with 3-4 quick loaders, primers, compass, knife, plastic zip-lock bag w/ personal items, lg. garbage bag to use as poncho, map of area, 2-way radio or cellphone, and some emergency food like chocolate bars.  The rest I leave in the car about 30 minutes away.
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.