Author Topic: I need a new lead pot, which one?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Bigboar

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
I need a new lead pot, which one?
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:42:28 AM »
I need a new lead pot.  There are so many from low $ to high $.  I want a reliable one.

bigboar

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: I need a new lead pot, which one?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:36:56 AM »
Lee production pot IV

You can buy three or four of these pots for the price of one of the other.
Buddy of mine has a Lee pot that has been going for 20+ years and he uses it for bullets, sinkers, and jigs.
His second one is at least 15 years old and still going strong......

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »
I had a Lee once, won't ever do that again. I've been using the RCBS 22 pound pot now for perhaps 30 years I dunno really but a really really long time. I like it but really don't like the way it supports the moulds tho I live with it.

If I ever get another it will be the big Lyman bottom pour pot as I really do like the mould support system it uses. I realize Lyman has basically no warranty at least not that they will honor and RCBS will still support the one I have for free and I do like that but sure do wanna try that Lyman mould support bracket.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:14:27 PM »
The Magma Engineering Masterpots are the the Rolls Royce of lead pots. Spendy, but very very good.

<http://www.magmaengineering.com/>

Offline BCall

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 07:15:19 AM »
I had a Lee once, won't ever do that again. I've been using the RCBS 22 pound pot now for perhaps 30 years I dunno really but a really really long time. I like it but really don't like the way it supports the moulds tho I live with it.

If I ever get another it will be the big Lyman bottom pour pot as I really do like the mould support system it uses. I realize Lyman has basically no warranty at least not that they will honor and RCBS will still support the one I have for free and I do like that but sure do wanna try that Lyman mould support bracket.

GB, if you have an RCBS Pro-Melt, you can buy that Lyman mold guide and it will fit directly on to your RCBS pot without modification. Works like a charm and costs about $20. Billy

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 12:15:51 PM »
Hmm, now that would be a nice addition if it will work. I didn't realize both fit the same way. I'm not sure if mine is called a Pro-Melt I'd have to check on that. It is old very old and was bought not long after RCBS came out with them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 12:26:41 PM »
if its grean and the covering is square it will work bill. Ive got two set up like that. Ive had the lee crap and ditched that a long time ago. I wore out two lyman 20 lb pots and got sick of paying a 100 bucks every year or two to have them rebuilt. I now have the two rcbs pots. Are they better then the lymans? Not really there both basicaly equal but at least when i wear these out rcbs will replace or repair them for free. the magma is a top shelf pot. Probably the best out there but there more then twice as much money and again when they crap out and any pot will eventually crap out magma isnt going to fix it for free. I was torn when i made the last ivestment between a big magma or two 20 lb rcbs pots. Im glad i went the rcbs route as with two pots a guy can feed hot lead from one to the casting pot and drop cold lead in the other and never run out of lead. that and you have the option of having two differnt alloys in pots ready to go.
blue lives matter

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 03:04:43 AM »
Well I am cheap, I have the Lee 20 pound bottom pour pot, And it dose have its flaws, But for the price I will live with it, the three problems most complain about the Lee , 1st would be the temp control, I have had 3 lee pots over the years, none ran the same, it took some getting use to on the heat range, 2nd would be the spout dripping, The Lee dose not like any junk in the mix, if you use clean alloy and flux well, I don’t have a problem with this either, and the final complaint on the Lee, would be the cheap mould guide they put on them, with a little trial and error, I made one out of Aluminum angle and a piece of oak board,  that works great. Of the 3 Lee pots I have owned none ever quit on me, I sold the two previous they still worked, the first was a dipper type, too slow, the second was a 10 pound production pot, This one is the 20 pound bottom pour, its been going strong for the last five years, and I casts with 6 different Lyman 4 cavity molds. One other complaint I have heard on the Lee pot was rust, but I would suspect these guys are using Marvelux flux, that stuff will rust anything.   

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 03:39:01 AM »
If you have a lot of patience get the Lee. Otherwise get one of the others. That drip can be a bit annoying if you let it get to you.

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 05:10:37 AM »
I hand ladle with a 25lb Waage.  They manufacture industrial soldering and melting equipment, so you have to call them and ask to build you the small 25lb pot.  It's very heavy duty, costs about $150.

As far as hand ladling, I can keep up with anyone's bottom pour pot with 1 and 2 cavity molds.  The big 4 and 6 cavity molds are too heavy to hold up to hand ladle for long sessions, so I still bottom pour them so that you can rest the mold on something while you pour.

If I had the $$$ I would get the big bottom pour from Magma Engineering!  :-)

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 01:27:14 PM »
  I've had two Lee and a Lyman.....i didn't like either brand, then moved UP to RCBS, and it's been a world better than the others.  It doesn't leak, and it's been totally reliable.

DM

Offline Dusty Ed

• Mainville Sportsmans Club
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 03:00:14 PM »
Howdy Pard
I have a Magma Master Caster wouldn't go any other way.
I hate Casting Bullets but I have to if I want to keep shooting.
I can load up the pot with 45 pounds of lead and go through it in 2 hours.
That comes out to 30 lbs. of bullets approx. 400.
Another thing about the M.C. is it isn't hot ,you are sitting below the pot ,not hanging over it Breathing in the fumes and I also have a Pipe over top of the pot
to acts as a Chimney to take the smoke from fluxing and the fumes outside.
That is why a like the Master Caster.
Any Questions, I will answer.
Dusty Ed ;)
Edward A. Bergen

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 04:44:03 AM »
Started out with the Lee, but it was the small one. Went with the RCBS 20# and havn't looked back. 'Course the price has doubled since I got mine 20+ years ago. But, I look at it as a tool. If your going to use it quite a bit, spend the extra money. If your only going to use it a couple times a year, buy cheap, 'cause it'll last you quite awhile. If your going to fire it up once or twice a month, better spend some money if you want it to last. Cheap tools, are just that! Cheap tools. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 06:37:44 AM »
I have a friend that has had a Saeco for as long as I can remember. I'm not sure they still even sell them, but I have noticed they look just like the RCBS furnaces.

Offline pourboy

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 01:33:41 PM »
I have a Lee 20 lb pot that I bought as a backup to my Lyman pot, which goes through heating elements about every other year. The Lee pot has a real problem maintaining any semblance of consistent temperatures. In fact, it simply can't do it, it has a temp swing of over 100 degrees. The Lyman runs about 50 degrees or so. The lack of consistent temperatures shows up in inconsistent bullet weights. I'll likely buy a Waage to replace the Lyman, which will drop to secondary use, & the Lee will be sold to someone who's not as fussy as I am.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 02:56:06 PM »
  My Lee's had the same problem, and the Lyman was a dripper...

DM