Author Topic: SPLIT CASE ON THE 243 CAL. LOAD ?  (Read 497 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
SPLIT CASE ON THE 243 CAL. LOAD ?
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:03:55 PM »
I like to ask about a load is it too hot??
I have a few reloading manuals but they date back to the 70's
My load
IMR 4064
hornady 100 BTSP
coal 2.710
My action will close on 2.754 with this bullet .I would say the C.O.A.L. should be o.k. even though I am at near max: powder charge
I think the split case was due one to many reloads on one case.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: SPLIT CASE ON THE 243 CAL. LOAD ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:07:42 PM »
Need a bit more info LW .

Were did the case split ?

Was it in the neck area or was it in the head area ?

How many loads were on this case ?

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 12:18:45 PM »
Lonewolf-

A trick I picked up is to take a piece of wire, and bend a small "L" shape at one end,  Run it up and down inside a fired case, in the head (base) area.  If you feel a "catch" slightly up on the body, in the head area, it usually means the case has thinned, and a possible case head separation is near.  There is no set number of reloads to expect from a case, as it varies with brand, action type, pressures, and a ton of other variables.  You will get longer case life if you use only brass fired in that rifle, and neck size only, provided the rifle in question will reliably chamber and extract the round.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:33:47 PM »
The split about 1/2" up from the base
I must have about 15  reloads on the case.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:40:57 PM »
I must have about 15  reloads on the case.

I think you answered your own question.  15 is a lot for a high intensity centerfire case.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:21:39 PM »
Bigeasy hit the nail on head. "A trick I picked up is to take a piece of wire, and bend a small "L" shape at one end,  Run it up and down inside a fired case, in the head (base) area.  If you feel a "catch" slightly up on the body, in the head area, it usually means the case has thinned, and a possible case head separation is near"

I picked up this hint in THE NRA HANDLOADER'S GUIDE, published in 1969.  I keep two bent paper clips on my reloading bench to use as described.  I normally start the process on the second or third reloading.  I also closely inspect the case shoulders and neck for cracking or impeding cracking.

I recently got into a box of WW cases I had reloaded a number of times starting in 1979.  Now days I use a large lighted magnifying glass to inspect cases.  I discarded three or four cases.  The cases from that lot will not be used for hunting.  They are range cases.  

Cracks in the neck are easily spotted in a well lighted area using a bright white piece of paper behind the neck as you turn the case.  I hold the case at a slight angel so I am looking into the inside of the neck.

P.S.  I keep two because I am always mis-placing one.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Flemc1

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Avid Poster
  • Gods Country North Idaho
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 03:06:44 PM »
I think ya got yer moneys worth outa that one ,  And when ya fired that one ya probly noticed somthing alittle different about the rifle when it fired ? not a bad load from what the books are showing me . Just a real tired piece of brass . Keep yer eyes peeled , that is one of the several things to look for when rollin yer own .
Chris
U.S.Navy EN1  (ret)  Snipe.
Caught in the mix of kill or be killed ," Greater love have no man ".
Than to lay down his life for a Friend "

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 01:21:25 AM »
Off of the subject but I tried 4064,had decent accuracy but since I had it on hand I tried 41gr.imr 4350,cci200,100gr sp col 2.710 this turned out to be a very accurate load in the rem. model 7 this is under max load (Hodgdon reloading) it is over max in some others. I had no sign of high pressure.

Offline tvc15

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 02:45:11 AM »
After 5 reloads my .243 cases go to the scrap pile regardless. (I still use the paper clip trick on them) Better safe then sorry.
I have a pile of once fired .243 cases from friends, and people who I see at the range.

Other hard to find cases I may push a little further.

TVC15