Author Topic: Help...Am I missing something?  (Read 556 times)

Offline jackD

• Trade Count: (0)
Help...Am I missing something?
« on: December 14, 2003, 04:19:12 PM »
I am looking for a new scope  for a .300mag. I have 2 elite's, a few Simmons, a Nikon and a Kahles. I had a Zeiss conquest which was replaced with the Kahles. I thought buying a more expensive scope like a Zeiss or Kahles that I would find a noticable difference. I absolutely hated the Zeiss and the Kahles does not impress me either. I can not tell any difference in than any other scope in any type of weather or shooting conditions. I would like to put  the best scope I can  on this gun, but I am thinking an Elite 4200 3x10 or monarch 3x10 are as good as any. I am set on the power but would like to hear if I am way off on thinking like this. Has anyone found any of the European scopes to be worth the money?

Offline Zachary

Re: Help...Am I missing something?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 05:37:56 AM »
[quote="jackD" Has anyone found any of the European scopes to be worth the money?[/quote]

It's hard to justify a $1,800 european scope.  You can get an Elite 4200 which is not as good as the high-end european scopes, but then again the 4200 is $1,300 CHEAPER.

If money is not a concern, then Swarovski is it - but make sure it's the PH series with the 30mm tube.

Still, you're right, the Elite 4200s and Monarchs have excellent optics - and at the fraction of the cost!

Zachary

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 05:45:29 AM »
Leupold

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 12:15:51 PM »
Personally I'd not take the high end Euro's if they were the ones selling more cheaply and the others were price where the Euro's are now. If you get the impression I'm not impressed with them you'd be right.

I'd go with the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10 and get the rain guard coating as a free bonus. I have no experience with the Nikon so don't have a real informed opinion but wasn't impressed with the ones I've looked thru owned by others. The Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10 is a nice scope and I've owned several but I think it really needs AO to use the 10X setting and even at 9X it is hurting for it.

I have an Elite 4200 2.5-10 that isn't on anything at this time as I'm thinking on what to put it on next. I'm hoping when I ask Bushnell about it they tell me they will install a Mil Dot reticle in it for me. If so it is gonna go on my latest planned Custom rifle in .257 Whby. Mag. I HATE belted mags as a general principle but for some reason I've wanted a .257 Whby. for 30 years or more. I think I'm gonna see about getting a custom rifle on an R700 action done up in it next year. We'll see, might not come off but it's in the planning stages.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 12:29:16 PM »
Here is how I do it.  My Zeiss conquest (that I love) goes on my favorite rifle (Sako 7mm stainless/walnut).  My second favorite scope (4200 Bushnell) goes on my next favorite (Sako 308 blue/walnut)  My Nikon Monarch goes on my Tikka .243.  Finally my bushnell 3200 goes on my Encore 209 x 50.  I like em all . . . but some better. :lol:

long
Life is short......eternity is long.