Author Topic: How many here make your powder charges exact?  (Read 2761 times)

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
Re: How many here make your powder charges exact?
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2010, 10:09:54 PM »
Um, not really. Exact to me is +/- 0.0,, kinda like exact.

Your right, there are several variables,,powder charge is one I can control,,I work up loads to the tenth of a grain.

No offense but don't kid yourself reloading grade scales and even electronic powder dispensing systems will all clearly state in the specifications that they're accurate to + or - 0.1 grains. So unless you have a lab grade scale costing hundreds if not thousands you don't have the equipment to weigh charges more accurately than in tenth of a grain increments..

I guess there are guy's out there that are completely content with mediocur groups. I mean for every match winner or harvested game there are the guy's that shoot less and/or miss their game.  Roll Eyes

I find this laughable how do you think powder is dispensed by the top competition level benchrest shooters? I've thrown charges where the velocity ES for strings can be counted on one hand while producing sub caliber sized groups. Here's a tip if you want to come across as informed the try the other way too BEFORE you shout from the rooftop how YOUR way is the only correct one

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2010, 04:00:38 AM »
What is everyone considering exact??!?!!  +- 0.1 gr?
All that work is thrown away if you are not using brass from the same lot.
Do you weigh all of you bullets to make sure they do not vary?
Just some random thoughts

Simple answer...yes but not all of the time for every caliber I shoot..but I do think if you are wanting to build the most accurate ammo you can build you can,especially if you wish to remove every variable you can think of..Ever wonder why you get some flyer's in the groups you shoot..knowing full well you did everything correctly,or do you just chalk it up to shooter error like most people? I wondered about it and decided to weigh a bunch of them from different companies one rainy day when I had nothing better to do...I've had some manufacturers bullets weigh over 8 grains difference in the same lot before..Think that might cause a flyer or 2 ? Most of the time most of the companies are real close on their weights..especially the Sierra Match bullets heck their 168 grain 30 cal Match bullets you could use for calibration weight if you wanted too..but..some can be way off..like the bulk Remington's, or some of Siroccos which has been way off too for me in a couple calibers... It's a PITA to do if your having to do this for multiple calibers..but the way I look at it..if I am going to the trouble of all the prepping and sorting my brass..why the heck wouldn't I sort the bullets as well ? While most of the weight difference doesn't mean a whole lot to many folks..if you are at or above the posted limits of the load or rifle..it can mean a great deal more..or if you are shooting over 300 yards..This is just 1 more variable I know I can remove from my loading when I want to. I basically will spot check 5 of the 50 or 10 of the 100 and see if they vary over + or - 3 grains..if they do I'll weigh the whole lot and cull the bad ones.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline PawPaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2010, 04:54:09 AM »
While most of the weight difference doesn't mean a whole lot to many folks..if you are at or above the posted limits of the load or rifle..it can mean a great deal more..or if you are shooting over 300 yards..This is just 1 more variable I know I can remove from my loading when I want to. I basically will spot check 5 of the 50 or 10 of the 100 and see if they vary over + or - 3 grains..if they do I'll weigh the whole lot and cull the bad ones.

Mac

Last year, I purchased some bulk bullets listed as ".308 mil-spec sniper" at a very attractive price.  I received them on a rainy afternoon, so I pulled out a sample and weighed the sample.  They varied as much as 4.0 grains across the sample, so I got some zipper bags and started sorting bullets.  I've got them bagged up in zipper bags, each in it's own 0.1 grain pile.  After sorting, they shoot very well, to the limit of the rifle and shooter.

After that experience, I tried weighing some Nosler MatchKings.  Of ten bullets I pulled from a 50 bullet box, they all weighed exactly the same.  I don't weigh Nosler bullets any more.

Offline temmi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2010, 10:03:31 AM »
I do every time for all types of loads (rifle & Pistol).

I use a RCBS ChargeMaster so no problem…Fast and accurate.

I even sort and weigh Bullets into lots of exact weights

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2010, 10:12:18 AM »
Sierra makes MatchKings..not Nosler..
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2010, 02:58:07 PM »
krochus,
Gee, wake up on the wrong side of the bed?
 I don't know all, I haven't prophest too either and I didn't think I was on the roof top,,
But it might be kinda hard to see me from your Pedestal,  :D , I'm glad your way works for you.

I'll continue trickling my charges till the little needle rest on the zero,(each time),Thank you for sharing your technique and experiance

Have a nice day friend,  ;D
found elsewhere