Author Topic: High point 9MM review  (Read 2364 times)

Offline ejpaul1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
High point 9MM review
« on: November 01, 2010, 03:18:12 AM »
Ok ok, before the reply's start coming in, I am just posting my experience with one I bought on friday. I am not exomerating any company for building lemons or ripping them for no reason.

So I went into jensen arms just looking around, I saw this high point and after a few minutes got curious enough to perform a 129 dollar experiment. For reference, I have a few other handguns. A 1974 S&W 29, an old police speical rossi 38, springfield XD45 and a phoenix semi auto 22 lr.
So, I got the High point home and examined it. Yes, corners were cut on the fit and finish, the clip looks pretty bad.

Got to the range and shot it, 50 rounds run through it, the first one failed to feed, but I think it was because I wasnt used to loading the mickey mouse cheapo magazine. The XD will spoil you in that area. The trigger is rough.
After that, 50 rounds of bang bang bang. Honestly, at 25 yards, it was showing close tot he same accuracy as my XD. I have been examining options for my sister for a home defense weapon. This looks like it might work.

So, am I going to go and replace my XD with one of these things, no. But I am pleased with its operation for the money. I could see with this sort of cost cutting how there could be some lemons out there. I manage manufacturing for my company and I could see where it would be cheaper to crank these things out and repair the lemons on an as requested basis as opposed to increasing the QA for every product. So, I am happy for 129 bucks and as well happy that it is an American company. I wish they would make a higher quality line of products to compliment the entire product offering though.

One note, it seems the magazine would be the fly in the ointment for lack of firing.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: High point 9MM review
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 05:09:56 AM »
I just got rid of one when I bought my Kel Tec PF-9. For a cheap firearm the High Point did much better than one would expect. It was moderately accurate and fed most ammo without trouble. Plus they have a lifetime warranty. I got rid of mine simply because I no longer had a use for it. One thing I didn't like about it was the weight and blocky shape but it functioned fairly well.

Offline dorothy daily

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 05:30:24 AM »
no 9s(just do not have the stopping power) but have this in 45 acp. three, that are reliable enough to carry in vehicles and other than one mag needing the lips adjusted they all go bang. as for accuracy i have killed cottontails at thirty steps. they are not a colt or kimber but if vehicle get broken into i lose a $120.00 gun not a $700.00 to $1,000.00 pistol. they serve a purpose,and are more than adequate.

Offline ejpaul1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 10:17:31 AM »
Yes, I agree with the effectiveness and utility. The blockiness too. Yeah, a 9mm couldnt kill a mouse, I actuallly got it for my nephew because his nerf gun broke.
on a more serious note, I could see where there could be magazine issue's.

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 05:46:56 AM »
Well, i had one in 9mm. i got it in a trade, it was not something i liked. it was accurate enough, but i personally did not like the fit and finish, the materials or the workmanship, how it looked, and how it felt in the hand, althought it rode ok as a ccw piece.
 the mags are crappy, and the release button was in a poor location. the slide spring sounded noisy and the over all feel of the gun was cheap.
 but having said all that, it was sorta fun to shoot, it didnt jam and was accurate and i didnt worry about scratching it or dinging it ..

Offline ejpaul1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 06:41:30 PM »
When I get my ccw I will probably carry that one. I just need something that goes "bang" and as well something that I wouldnt get upset if it is dropped on concrete.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 04:26:41 AM »
cost is always a factor when buying a firearm for whatever use.
but, when you life may be in the balance,  buying cheap is a bad move most guys would tell ya.
 buying a good used gun at a low price is a better option.
the mag and mag release is a weak link with the HighPoint i had, no way did i continue to own it, not mentioning using it for CCW carry
go to a few local gun shops and just see what they have, before you settle on the highpoint

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 12:14:09 PM »
Mine performed well but it felt like a brick on my belt and not much better in my hand. Accuracy was just so so. My Kel Tec PF-9 9mm Luger weighs 18oz fully loaded, 7 + 1, is only a hair over 3/4" thick and new costs on average $300. It's light, well made, super easy to conceal and very very accurate well out past normal self defense ranges. It's gotten a lot of very good reviews as well. Not bad at all for the money.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
the kel-tec's and rugers lcp are clones. my wife has the lcp .380, its a really nice little gun, i have used it and carried it , and did not feel unarmed or under gunned. id say your kel-tec should work to be a bit better, being a 9mm.  leaps and bounds above those high points

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 01:48:02 PM »
the kel-tec's and rugers lcp are clones. my wife has the lcp .380, its a really nice little gun, i have used it and carried it , and did not feel unarmed or under gunned. id say your kel-tec should work to be a bit better, being a 9mm.  leaps and bounds above those high points

Yep, Ruger was quick to copy Kel Tec. Being a disabled vet I didn't have a lot to spend. In fact I traded two, low dollar, pistols straight accross for the new PF-9. I did a lot of on line research to make a list of handguns I was interested in. Then I went to the gun shows and actually handled not only those on my list but a few others as well. The PF-9 fit my needs perfectly. Light weight, easy to conceal, moderate price, rave reviews, surprisingly accurate, moderate recoil, sightes even I can easily see, points well, and packs a lethal punch. I'm very happy with mine as is everyone I've talked to that owns one.

Offline ejpaul1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 06:38:54 PM »
Good info guys. Although I already have a high point, I might get a keltec. I saw them in 32 but of course would prefer a 9mm. EJ

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 08:11:24 PM »
Good info guys. Although I already have a high point, I might get a keltec. I saw them in 32 but of course would prefer a 9mm. EJ

Here's a pic of my P-32 (bottom) next to my PF-9 (top) so you can judge how small the PF-9 is. Also a pic of the P-32 laying on top of the PF-9. It still amazes me how sweet a shooter the 9 is for being so small. The grip extention comes free with a new PF-9. Considering both are about the same price you'd be better choosing the PF-9 as your primary weapon. I carry my P-32 as backup. I carry both in holsters on my belt, one right side one left. Fully loaded that's a grand total of a mere 32oz and a total of 16 shots. So light and so easy to conceal you'll find that either one is a pleasure to carry and thus no reason not to have it always with you when guys with heavier, bulkier guns leave theirs in their cars or at home. I'm ordering a combination laser and tac light to put on my PF-9. I am always hearing guys say about their weapons, " It's fairly accurate at self defense ranges." Well, I take comfort in knowing that the PF-9 is very accurate well past those ranges! Sorry if I sound like a salesman, it's just that very few firearms have impressed me as much as the PF-9 has and when I find a good thing I like to pass it along.

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 10:03:42 PM »
Ok ok, before the reply's start coming in, I am just posting my experience with one I bought on friday. I am not exomerating any company for building lemons or ripping them for no reason.

So I went into jensen arms just looking around, I saw this high point and after a few minutes got curious enough to perform a 129 dollar experiment. For reference, I have a few other handguns. A 1974 S&W 29, an old police speical rossi 38, springfield XD45 and a phoenix semi auto 22 lr.
So, I got the High point home and examined it. Yes, corners were cut on the fit and finish, the clip looks pretty bad.

Got to the range and shot it, 50 rounds run through it, the first one failed to feed, but I think it was because I wasnt used to loading the mickey mouse cheapo magazine. The XD will spoil you in that area. The trigger is rough.
After that, 50 rounds of bang bang bang. Honestly, at 25 yards, it was showing close tot he same accuracy as my XD. I have been examining options for my sister for a home defense weapon. This looks like it might work.

So, am I going to go and replace my XD with one of these things, no. But I am pleased with its operation for the money. I could see with this sort of cost cutting how there could be some lemons out there. I manage manufacturing for my company and I could see where it would be cheaper to crank these things out and repair the lemons on an as requested basis as opposed to increasing the QA for every product. So, I am happy for 129 bucks and as well happy that it is an American company. I wish they would make a higher quality line of products to compliment the entire product offering though.

One note, it seems the magazine would be the fly in the ointment for lack of firing.

Fire another couple hundred rounds through it to make sure,then inspect it very carefully.

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 10:06:03 PM »
When I get my ccw I will probably carry that one. I just need something that goes "bang" and as well something that I wouldnt get upset if it is dropped on concrete.

How would it get dropped on concrete? Im not really worried about that,I keep mine in a good holster. IF all you can afford is a High Point,then by all means ,get the High Point. You want to get the best gun you can afford though. If you can afford something better though (or have something better) you should go with that.

ejpaul1: Just give your sister the rossi 38.