Author Topic: New FN Winchester 70 Featherweight problems  (Read 3812 times)

Offline railroadr

• Trade Count: (0)
New FN Winchester 70 Featherweight problems
« on: February 20, 2010, 07:28:52 AM »
Well, my wife bought me one of the new South Carolina made featherweights in 7MM-08.  I had researched the new ones alot before deciding to try one, and most all reviews were favorable.  She brought it home Monday and I didn't have time to really check it out until Friday.  First thing I was gonna do was take it apart and clean the factory lube off, reoil and reassemble.  Took the floorplate off, anxious to check out the factory bedding job.  2 days later I still haven't got the action out of the stock.  It's glued in.  It will move at the tang and end of the forearm.  Seems to be glued at the recoil lug.  I've gotten as rough with it as I care to and it won't budge.  #2 problem...When the bolt is closed, there is about 1/8" side to side play in the bolt face when locked up.  Not good.  #3 problem...The barrel on these are floated from the factory.  My barrel is touching the left side of the forearm with all the gap on the right side.  Barrel is nowhere near centered in channel.  #4 problem...The safety is a bear to operate.  From full on to the mid position feels pretty good, but from mid to safety off is a bear.  I thought this might get better as it is used awhile, but with the other issues who knows. 

Anybody else had any issues with the new 70's from FN?  I guess I have no choice but send it back and hope for the best.  Too much money to have to put up with this stuff on a new rifle IMO.  Other than these things, it is a fine looking rifle with the featherweight stock.  Just wish quality was alot better.  >:( Any comments are appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Siskiyou

Re: New FN Winchester 70 Featherweight problems
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 08:18:55 AM »
Sorry to hear about the problems with the rifle, a good report for those looking at buying one.  Report on how their customer service treats you.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 09:39:59 AM »
AFAIK, all FW's are/were glass-bedded with a small daub of bedding compound that barely covered the recoil lug recess and the bottom of the rear of the barrel channel, under the chamber.

It sounds like "somebody" in production/assembly didn't apply the release agent first.   ::)

Good luck, and remember - "ya git more flies with honey, than with vinegar" !  ;)   ;D

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Put it in the freezer & it will just "pop lose" or so the experts say.  I've never tried it.

However one of those in 30-06 just followed me home.  I haven't screwed with it yet.  Hope I don't have to mess with it.   

Anyone else have one of these newer m. 70s?
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 12:03:03 AM »
As stated above putting it in the freezer works. It causes the steel to contract and loosen the recoil lug from the slot in the stock. It might still be tight and a little hard to get out still. First M70 I glass bedded got stuck. A friend put it in his chest freezer over night and he got it out. It was always a little hard to get out after that but it was a really good fit. I always grabbed the barrel just ahead of the fore end and the fore end with the other hand and pulled it and sort of worked it that way. I have also screwed the forward lug screw far enough in so as not to damage the threads and still be loose and TAPPED the screw with a plastic mallet to loosen the lug. Then pull on barrel and fore end again. The way the lug is designed it will be tight if it is glass bedded, which is good for accuracy. I have delt with a few bolt guns where the barrel touches one side of the channel. I have one like that now. If it doesn't cause your groups to string out I wouldn't fret over it. If it bothers you, you can sand the channel. But be aware that if it is really tight against the side, the more you sand the more the barrel will move in that direction leaving a bigger gap on the off side. I just bought a M70 walnut sporter stock on ebay to put on my stainless classic,(an older model). It touches the side of the channel. I think when I re-bed the action in this stock I can move it back to center. You should not have these problems with a new rifle at that price. I don't know what to tell you about the bolt. Without a cartridge in the chamber I can see it being a little loose since there is no pressure on the locking lugs from a headspaced cartridge in the chamber. I think the control round feed types are a little more loose in the action than the push feed types are because of the claw extractor. Hard to say without looking at it. Chamber a round and check it out. Wish you the best of luck!!!
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline wallynut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 12:59:19 AM »
Most of the things that you commented on are easily fixable except the bolt movement.  I'm surprised that there's that much movement.  I'd say check other 70's at the gun shops to see if they also have loose bolts, but around here, we don't see many newer Winny's anymore.  I know that you believe that you shouldn't have to do any work on a new rifle, and I would "like" to agree with you, but it seems that unless you spend more money on a custom rifle, there will always be something that needs attention, I don't care what brand of rifle it is.  The last new Winchester I bought was when they went back to controled round feeding, a 338 win mag.  I've been very happy with that rifle.  If you do end up sending that back, hopefully it's without too much hassle.
aim small, miss small

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 04:42:16 PM »
Sorry to hear troubles , I have a couple from FN factory and LOVE IT. 
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 08:20:04 AM »
A glass bedding job should not allow the bottom of the recoil lug to contact the bedding at the bottom of the rcess. Also the glass at the front of the lug can/should be removed as it does nothing for the rifle's accuracy. It can make removal of the barreled action difficult! The freezing trick usually works and once it's out scrape out the bottom of the bedding and grind away a bit off the front of the lug recess, makes it easier to work with and shoots the same.. Also the rocking you seem to be getting may be a probem also.. Perhaps it's just a rsult of the floated barrel but the action should not move at all when the front and rear screws are removed.. On actions with three screws the center one should be loosened.. Test by loosening the middle screw and while touching the rear of the action and the wood with the same finger tip(wood metal junction) loosen the rear screw. You should not feel any movement.. Do the front the same way and tighten the middle screw just above finger tight.. Good luck..
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline oldelkhunter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 07:53:31 AM »
Put it back in its box and ship it to Browning for service. List every item that you are having problems with and my guess is you will receive a new rifle. I would not  Freeze it, play with it or anything along those lines just send it back.
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Offline epanzella

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 08:15:53 AM »
Put it back in its box and ship it to Browning for service. List every item that you are having problems with and my guess is you will receive a new rifle. I would not  Freeze it, play with it or anything along those lines just send it back.
+1.  Don't give them an excuse to say it's your fault. The first pitch should go to them.

Offline ardeekay

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
I bought one last week in 270 wsm., shot it today... I like it very much, first group at 100 was 1" (federal factory cheapies) next was a handload at 100, 5/8"  then on to 200 yds, and things opened up, best group was 2".. but its new, and I was running a 'bore-snake' after each shot..   barrel is nicely free floated, and I have no need to drop the stock, so I won't.  I have to mention the safety issue, mine is a 'bear' also just like the one you mentioned !!  I am trying to talk myself into living with it.. maybe like you said, it will get better.  The safety works, but is very noisy going to the fire position..it sounds like a dry-fire.. if I really try, it goes quieter, but I shouldn't have to do that.   good luck with yours.. Bob

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 04:20:04 PM »
As far as the safety making noise goes, one of my older M70's is also loud. If you use your thumb and index finger together, and grip the safety between the fingers, you can push it forward more quietly. It will probably "quiet down" a bit after you've used it a while. If you're just trying to "flick" it off quickly with your thumb tip, that may make is worse.