Author Topic: Ball stuck and puller stuck  (Read 1187 times)

Offline bckskin2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ball stuck and puller stuck
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:15:44 AM »
I have a ball with no charge stuck and broke the shaft on my puller. Gunsmith says has to go back to CVA. Any suggestions. I got as much fowling out as possible and powered in oil

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Ball stuck and puller stuck
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:23:36 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline flintlock

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:06:08 AM »
If I can't pull one out, I dribble in about 5 grs of powder in the touch hole or remove the nipple and put it in the drum, then shoot it out...Make sure you ram the ball all the way home before doing this...

I'm not sure this will work though, it sounds like you have saturated the barrel with oil...

Is it a percussion or a flintlock and if flintlock does it have  removable touch hole??? It could also be blown out with a CO2 adapter or with a grease gun or even compressed air...No need to send back to CVA if the right fellow can get his hands on it...

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:30:26 AM »
Percussion. Where do I get the CO2 kits?

Offline flintlock

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:45:39 AM »

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0006480217358a.shtml

If you can get the drum area dry, dribble in about 5 grs of powder and you can shoot it out...It doesn't take much...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 02:40:47 PM »
Blew that sucker clean out!  thanks for the tips. hope I never need to again

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 04:01:44 AM »
I hope you never need to again either.  I only did it once, and only cleared a friend's TC Hawken the same way once.  I started shooting muzzleloading caplocks around 1974 and never did buy a ball puller.  From what I've read others say about pulling these balls out with one, and losing ramrod tips, pullers, etc down the barrel, I don't think I'll be buying a puller any time soon either.  I've never missed not having one. 

Offline flintlock

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 05:49:19 AM »
Pulling a ball is simple and easy, if you have done it before and have pinned the tips on you ramrod or range rod...With rifles cutting patches, I ram a ball home and pull to read the patching, it can tell you a lot...

The time to learn to pull a ball is before you have to... :) Kinda like changing a tire...

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 06:48:13 AM »
I'll try about anything to avoid using a ball screw. I like tight loads and if it goes down tight it sure ain't going to pull easy once the ball has been expanded by running a big fat screw into it.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 10:16:15 AM »
The first 2 time I brought up a screw full of led, The third time the shaft broke at my pin! Lost the puller if I get another I'll get the one that screws into my ram rod or use a brass or steel rod as the shaft.
Jerry

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 12:33:24 PM »
Easiest thing in the first place is too just pull the nipple, trickle some powder in the hole,,knock it down a bit by tapping the stock, repeat a few times, replace the nipple, point it in a safe direction ,cap, and shoot it out.
found elsewhere

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 07:04:15 AM »
Done it many times, too many times! ;D  My flintlock once took a swim when I was trying to cross a creek on slippery stones. I built a small fire to dry myself out. I pulled the barrel (half-stock with patent breech) and with the barrel propped up in a safe direction I stuck the breech end in the coals. After a few minutes there was a "sizzle, swish, boom" and my barrel was ready to clean and reload. ;D I got that idea from reading "Ruxton of the Rockies" where he did the same with the barrels of his double rifle.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Brazos_Jack

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 10:15:54 PM »
Biggest problem with conventional pullers is that you start with a tightly jammed patch/ball combo and then expand it bigger by screwing a tapered screw into it.

Do you drive a screw in wood without a pilot hole? No! Then why try it with a lead ball.

My ramrod has a double ended puller I bought back in about 1977. One end is a short pilot drill and the other end is the screw. You first use the drill end to drill a pilot hole in the lead ball, then switch ends and screw the screw in the pilot hole. Out she comes, easy every time. I have never had to resort to the "blow the ball out" methods mentioned here.

Yes, the ferrule that the puller threads into is pinned to the rod.