Author Topic: first slug gun?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline HSBB

• Trade Count: (0)
first slug gun?
« on: July 23, 2010, 04:14:50 PM »
Hi, all! Maryland bowhunter/muzzleloader but H&R noob here, who's really glad to find the collective Greybeard wisdom!

Most MD counties are shotgun only for deer, as are almost all of the state managed hunts. So I'm thinking of a cheap frugal way to get in on the fun--I have four kids and owe too many people too much money. ;D A single shot H&R makes the most sense to me, but I'm a little stuck on which route to take. I know I'm going with a 20ga., but having trouble sorting out the following options:

1. Ultra Slug Hunter $250 new, plus cost of scope (super gun, but a bit spendy in my current situation)

2. Tracker II $180 new (another great gun. my only reservation is recoil as it weighs five pounds vs. the USH's eight and has more drop in the stock, but with 1oz. sabots and a Sims slip-on pad, I think I'll be fine, right?)

3. Pardner or Topper smoothbore $60-100 used (cheapest most frugal to buy & most frugal to run, since rifled slugs are far less than sabot loads, but I guess I have the most Qs about this option:

a. Will just a bead sight be adequate? I've read that people make it work...
b. What's the difference btw Pardners and Toppers? Which would you recommend?
c. If I got a fixed choke, which would be best, mod or full? Would full work with slugs AND turkey loads?

Sheesh! If you made it this far and have a minute or ten to weigh in, I'd sure appreciate it!

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: first slug gun?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »
 I have a Tracker II 20ga. I had it drilled and tapped and put a Tru Glo 2x red dot on it. It has the hard plastic but blate and with 2 3/4" lightfields its an absolute tack driver. 3 shots into 2 holes touching at 65 yards. Recoil with the lightfields is just a slight nudge even off the bench. I took a doe with it at 80 yards.
 I also have a 20ga 22" modified choke that I use for a smooth bore slugger. Same set up Tru Glo 2x red dot. shoots about 2-3" groups at 65 yards. minute of deer In the woods of New York I hunt with the 2 3/4" remington sluggers. might do a little better with brenekes, but why pay more.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline HSBB

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 05:24:02 PM »
I also have a 20ga 22" modified choke that I use for a smooth bore slugger. Same set up Tru Glo 2x red dot. shoots about 2-3" groups at 65 yards. minute of deer In the woods of New York I hunt with the 2 3/4" remington sluggers. might do a little better with brenekes, but why pay more.

Thanks, sh. Is that to say that a full choke barrel would be a bad idea? And did you ever try to shoot it with just the bead?

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
Full choke shouldn't be a problem foster slugs are designed with a hollow base. No I never shot slugs in it with just the bead. Shot  acouple shot shells with the bead when I was fitting the barrel. This was a smooth bore slug gun project from the start. Had it drilled and tapped and the Tru Glo on before I put the first slug down the barrel. For a 50-75 yard gun the bead should be okay. Just shoot it enough to know how it shoots.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 02:31:16 AM »
You can squeeze Foster style slugs through any choke, I killed my first buck with a 30" full choke pump. A lot of places you'll see improved or cylinder recommended, but I've had good luck with modified chokes and would recommend that in an H&R. Depends on the distances you're talking, but out to about 100 yards it would be ok using the bead as long as you shoot it enough to become familiar with where it shoots. I guess it just depends on what you want to spend, but with that many kids you could own a couple plain jane 20 ga for the price of one specialized slug gun and everyone could get in on the fun. Another thought that varies from the H&R theme is to look for an old bolt action 20 ga. Many are still in good shape and don't go for too much on used racks.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 05:28:48 AM »
As the owners of many NEF Tracker II slug guns, I can highly recommend them. Ours are drilled and tapped and have low power variable scopes. With Winchester 3" partition gold sabots they are a real accurate deer killing machine. The downside is that for your projected plan they maybe a bit expensive in quantity for your needs. The trouble with the Tracker I smoothbore is that it is a used purchase proposition as they are no longer made. A pardner or topper with a modified choke would work and the bead front sight would work but I would venture a guess that aiming and accuracy would not be on par with a fully sighted barrel. The nice part is that with a modified fine shot barrel, it would leave the youths with another hunting opportunity.

The Foster style slug would be a bargain over the sabot round, and would help with with having to supply four youngin's with hunting as well as practise ammo. So Good Luck with your venture.

Offline McDerry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 08:15:15 AM »
If you plan to do some turkey hunting, go with the full choke.  The slugs will still shoot well out of the full choke maybe not as good as other constrictions but they will shoot well.   Also it would function as a turkey gun with dence enough patterns out to 35 yards or so.   Aiming with the bead is not very hard as you can usually just float the bead above the cocked hammer to use as a sight picture.  2" groups with a smoothie at 35 yards is very duable. 

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 10:07:14 AM »
If your shots are going to be 50 yards or less I'd go with a smooth bore, bead sight gun. It is your cheapest option and plenty adequate out to the range I mentioned. Mod or Full fixed chokes are a toss up with me. When it comes to turkey hunting a full might get you 35 yards vs. 30 yards with a mod in 20 gauge. When it comes to shooting slugs a mod might be better but not always.

I have a 16 gauge H&R Topper with a fixed mod choke and bead sight. This is my do it all hunting shotgun. It patterns well out to 30 yards for turkeys. I can shoot 2" groups at 30 yards with the bead sight using cheap Remington Sluggers. It also patterns real well with #1 buckshot. I also plan to use it for partridge and casual duck hunting this fall. A 20 gauge bead sight gun will be just as versatile for you unless you plan on taking 100 yard shots in which case you'd need a rifle slug barrel.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline stringofpoloponies

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 10:44:37 AM »
i would check your state game rules. in my state of N.J. you need an adjustable sight to shoot slugs. not saying just having a bead cant be accurate for some but having a rear sight even with buckshot forces one to aim and look longer before squeezing. smooth bore is just fine. the old mossberg bolt actions are cheap. i have an old 395 model 12 guage with the ploy choke and had williams gun company put a scope base on it. it loves those federal tru ball slugs. at less than 4$ a box and groups good all day long out to 80 yards.the 20 guage version i believe is the 385k. they usually go for 70$-150$

Offline HSBB

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 03:22:24 PM »
The trouble with the Tracker I smoothbore is that it is a used purchase proposition as they are no longer made.

Thanks for all the great feedback/advice, guys.

I think CM may have hit the nail on the head here. I could have a lead on a used Tracker I, which seems to be the best of both worlds for short-range deer work: cheap to buy and feed plus rifle sights! I'll keep you posted...

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
I drilled & tapped a youth 22" barrel for a peep and added a front sight.  The USH is a monster @ about 8 1/2# without a sight.  A Trapper I or II barrel would be great. 

Personally, as a People's Republik of Md resident, I moved west of Frederick Co. = rifle country  ;D!  But, I work in shotgun country.  Or, try the Eastern Shore.

Offline Airsporter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 01:11:56 PM »
I drilled & tapped a youth 22" barrel for a peep and added a front sight.  The USH is a monster @ about 8 1/2# without a sight.  A Trapper I or II barrel would be great. 

Personally, as a People's Republik of Md resident (until I retire), I moved west of Frederick Co. = rifle country  ;D!  But, I work in shotgun country.  Or, try the Eastern Shore.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 09:32:45 PM »
Hi, all! Maryland bowhunter/muzzleloader but H&R noob here, who's really glad to find the collective Greybeard wisdom!

Most MD counties are shotgun only for deer, as are almost all of the state managed hunts. So I'm thinking of a cheap frugal way to get in on the fun--I have four kids and owe too many people too much money. ;D A single shot H&R makes the most sense to me, but I'm a little stuck on which route to take. I know I'm going with a 20ga., but having trouble sorting out the following options:

1. Ultra Slug Hunter $250 new, plus cost of scope (super gun, but a bit spendy in my current situation)

2. Tracker II $180 new (another great gun. my only reservation is recoil as it weighs five pounds vs. the USH's eight and has more drop in the stock, but with 1oz. sabots and a Sims slip-on pad, I think I'll be fine, right?)

3. Pardner or Topper smoothbore $60-100 used (cheapest most frugal to buy & most frugal to run, since rifled slugs are far less than sabot loads, but I guess I have the most Qs about this option:

a. Will just a bead sight be adequate? I've read that people make it work...
b. What's the difference btw Pardners and Toppers? Which would you recommend?
c. If I got a fixed choke, which would be best, mod or full? Would full work with slugs AND turkey loads?

Sheesh! If you made it this far and have a minute or ten to weigh in, I'd sure appreciate it!

Walmart has a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad that fits great for 20 dollars. Its branded "winchester by limbsaver" and its the exact same pad you buy in the normal packaging for 30 dollars. I have one on my 12ga NEF and its great both for my tracker II barrel and my 12ga barrel.

Ive thought long and hard about doing something to improve the sights (they are not bad,I just dont like them) on my slug tracker II barrel. The rear sight is held on by a pin at the front,and a hight adjustment screw with a spring at the back. What Ive decided to do is buy one of the really small open reflex sights and mount it where the rear sight was. The Burris Fastfire II is currently at the top of my list. Its going to take a little work though,as I will have to make a mounting bracket that fits where the sight went.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 04:41:23 AM »
If you can get the Tracker I by all means buy it.They are great little slug guns ,accurate and cheap to shoot.You will be able to practice all you want and become quite proficent with the foster slugs.Just be sure to try different brands as many times these guns will prefer 1 brand over the others.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline jlwilliams

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 05:03:08 AM »
  My first slug gun was a 20g rifled slug barrel with adjustable rifle style sights that I had H&R put onto my Handi frame.  Excellent choise.  It does like some slugs better than others.  I'm not sure what current model designation corresponds to the set up that I have, but I like it and would reccommend it.