Author Topic: .410 Rabbit Guns Build/Barrel Work/Pattern Test  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
.410 Rabbit Guns Build/Barrel Work/Pattern Test
« on: July 25, 2010, 08:39:31 AM »
Folks these are four 410 bore shotguns that we (Friend and son) will be using this hunting season.

The top one is the son's NEF 410 versa pak

Next is my 20 ga Compact. It has a 410 barrel I traded MSP Ret and the B/C 45 carbine stock from Gendoc. Not sure if I'm going to leave this stock on or not. It does piont better than the walnut TDC stock.

The lat one is my friends 410, It started as a regular NEF Pardner. It has B/C 45 carbine stock from Gendoc and my buddy likes them and the long barrel, so the gun will stay like it is, but with barrel work.

The above gun is a H&R 410 Tamer with a laminated stock purchased from Gunstock, INC. MSP Ret fitted the stock to the gun for me and has done an excellent job. The stock will have a tung oil finish.

All of the 410 have full chokes and this where I need the help of the member. I have purchase adjustable choke reamer to open up the chokes for a good patterns under 20 yards. The loads we are using are Winchester Super Sport Sporting Clays. Walmart has them in stock. I will be doing the forcing cone in each gun also.

Choke Reamer

Forcing Cone Reamer

Will post again shorty with what I plan on doing to the barrels to open them up!
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: .410 Rabbit Guns Build/Barrel Work/Pattern Test
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 09:01:55 AM »
Great looking .410 stable there buddy. Keep us informed on the choke progress.
Regarding opening the chokes, just like anything else, go slow and pattern test often.
Remember, it's much easier to take a little more off than to put it back on....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline fredster22

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (195)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 10:56:57 AM »
 Fine looking collection Bill. Especially like the tamer, usual great stock job done by Andy, gives me thought
about my tamer, not in love with the plastic though it does well on the ATV. Am interested in how the
choke reamer works out. Did you get the butt plate yet? Heard the bunnies found out about this artillery
and are planning to move to southern Delaware ;D   Fred
All H&R 17m2 Sportster-17hmr Sportster-22lr Leatherneck semi-22mag ultra-22mag 700semi-22 hornet/20 258-221 fireball
223 bull-22-250 bull-243 bull Ultra--762x39-7x57m
30-30 157man-30-30/20ga 258--32-20 cust
-357max factory-357mag/20ga 258-44mag/20
ga 258-45lc-45/70-50 Sidekick-50
Huntsman-12ga Trap-12ga TDC
20ga TDC-20ga 22" 258x2-28ga 22"
Topper-410 slug-410 22"Topper-410 Charmer

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 01:38:16 PM »
The Plan:

The first thing I need to do is Pattern all the Guns. I looking at 20 yards being the maximun range for harvesting the bunnies. Hunting bunnies behind beagles usually means shots from....at your feet to 30 or so yards. We hunt in the thick stuff. I will start the patterning at about 10 yards and probabily just shoot one pattern at this distance, not sure how tight it will be. Then continue to 15, then 20 and end at 25 yards. at the 20 and 25 yards, I plan on shooting 3 to 5 patterns. The goal is a good pattern in a 20" circle at 20 yards.

The loads are Winchester 2.5" number 8 shot Double AA HS Sporting Clay loads. The FPS is 1300 which is marked on the box. I will Chrongraph acouple becuase I am reloading them. I think the 8's will do the job because of the range limitation I have placed on the group of users.

Tomorrow we are going to the State Fair and hopefully I will be able to start patterning Tuesday afterwork.

The  patterning board is made out of a Ol' pallet from work!

Rolls of old blueprints that will be taped together for the patterning paper!

Until the middle of the week,  BE SAFE!

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 02:12:57 PM »
  I started rabbit hunting with an old Winchester model 12 with modified choke. Always used 7 1/2 or 8 shot. When i switched to more open choke guns i had to switch to 6 shot. The 7 1/2 or 8 just wouldn't kill them. I won't get started on my beagles because i don't know when to stop. I love the little devils. I run a whole pack of them in my younger days. Don't hunt rabbits anymore. To rough to do in my old age. Keep us posted on how you do with the 410 and the beagles. ;D

Offline Airsporter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 12:41:35 PM »
Suggest you also pattern some #5 and #6 at those ranges.  You only need 3-5 pellet hits to take out a cottontail.  The #8 is really harder to find to pick out of the meat.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 02:28:35 AM »
That's a great looking bunch of guns. I hope I can see them in person a few more times this year.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 03:56:49 AM »
The Plan:

The  patterning board is made out of a Ol' pallet from work!

Until the middle of the week,  BE SAFE!

Froghunter

How many pellets will reach the neighbors window across the street :D ;)
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 04:33:29 AM »
   I was thinking the same thing. If i tried that where i live i would end up in Jail. :o