Author Topic: fed. primers? high pressure?  (Read 798 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
fed. primers? high pressure?
« on: July 23, 2010, 08:46:18 AM »
I'm still shooting the 243, and here is the story. got some h- hybrid v100. loaded up 3 shells. max load for 100 gr. bullets is 43.7 gr. I loaded 42, 42.5, and 43. I shot the 42 and the primer was a little flattened and material flowed around the fireing pin hole.. HOWEVER, the guns recoil was very mild, report was very mild, and the case neck was sooty. I'm shooting 100 gr. partitions, no crimp, lee neck dies, fed primers, seated a HAIR off lands. I dident shoot the other two obviously. gun is a 700. anybody know whats wrong?

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: fed. primers? high pressure?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:56:48 AM »
What was the primer used in the book load? Different promers can have a different effect on your load. Always start with the start load when changing a component.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:27:16 AM »
I'm still shooting the 243, and here is the story. got some h- hybrid v100. loaded up 3 shells. max load for 100 gr. bullets is 43.7 gr. I loaded 42, 42.5, and 43. I shot the 42 and the primer was a little flattened and material flowed around the fireing pin hole.. HOWEVER, the guns recoil was very mild, report was very mild, and the case neck was sooty. I'm shooting 100 gr. partitions, no crimp, lee neck dies, fed primers, seated a HAIR off lands. I dident shoot the other two obviously. gun is a 700. anybody know whats wrong?

This is telling me that the load is on the light side , NOT an over pressure problem , whats happening is the case is moving back in the chamber during firing , and flatting the primer , also it's not completely sealing itself to the chamber walls as it should , thus the soot on the neck .

Try the 42.5 and 43 loads , you should see an improvement in both less soot and better primer look .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 03:11:56 PM »
thats what i suspected, but wasnt sure. i fired the 43 gr. load, and had the same sooty case mouth, but primer was a little more flattened out. i'm thinking no crimp might be the culprit. i'm gonna try seating to the lands with a 42 and see what happens. edges on the case are not well defined and barely look different from new brass. i really dont think they are expanding in the chamber, or they would be "taking its shape".

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 02:55:39 AM »
Your flattened primers are probably being caused by excessive resizing    Back your FL die OUT about 1/16th (4.5 thou) turn and see if that doesn't stop or greatly reduce the flattening.

Primers, as such, don't cause "high pressure."   A load consists of the case, bullet, powder and charge as well as the primer.  Taken together they produce whatever pressure we get, it's never a single component causing exscessive pressure. 
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 03:23:35 AM »
+1 for stimpy, I think.  Coupled with maybe a loose chamber fit if you are full length resizing, this could present your symptoms.  Primers will back out with a light load too, and LIGHT loads can also cause pressure problems with certain powders, so I've read.  Light loads in the 243, and generally all of the 308 based cartridges, might respond best to 4895.

From the Hodgdon site.

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 05:44:56 AM »
im only neck sizing. load levels are not light, they are near max. i tried the loads touching the lands, and am still getting soot on the case mouth, easy extraction, mild report and recoil, but also flat primers(although ive seen much worse in other calibers) and primer material built up around fireing pin hole.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 08:33:09 AM »
Gallahad

You may want to re-think your powder choice , the v-100 is a bit on the slow side for the 243 Win , granted it will work but from all that I have read , its better suited for rounds like the 270 , 243 SSM , 7mm mag and bigger case's .

With you not using a crimp , this slow burning powder may be not having enough time to do a proper burn , thus causing the lack of case seal to chamber , look at some of the more mid-range ones like Varget , Benchmark , or either the ( IMR or H ) 4895 .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Catfish

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 08:49:17 AM »
Did you do anything to your primer pockets??? Sounds to me like you have loose primer pockets. With loose primer pockets you can get flat primers with very lite loads. That is why I quite useing reamers in my primer pockets.

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 03:19:10 PM »
this is new brass-hornady. nothing done to primer pockets. I loaded up a start load just to see what was up, and same results. Primer not AS flat, but lots of flow around fireing pin. saME soot and report. I have chosen the powders because I have a 20 " barrel, and wanted to maximize velocity. hybrid has about the best Ive seen in 243. If what youve suggested is the case, then varget or something similar would be the way to go.  The case is not supposed to slam rearward against the bolt, but expand tight to the chamber wall, so even if the loads are not "high pressure" they may damage bolt with prolonged use right? MAN POWDER IS EXPENSIVE!!!! ::)

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 06:34:41 AM »
Federal primers, or so I've heard, are pretty notorious for being really soft and will flatten/flow more easily than other brands.  I don't know if that maybe exacerbating the issue more than normal.