Author Topic: Berger or combined technology  (Read 310 times)

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Berger or combined technology
« on: July 29, 2010, 06:32:48 AM »
OK first off I didn't know where to throw this question out. I've been playing with a remington VTR in 308win (cabelas version 24" with no break) and I have only found one load that shoots extremely well which is a hornady 168gr. hpbt match on top of 42 grains of IMR 4895. I've tryed using the same charge with some different 165gr. bullets without much luck (ballistic tip, horn spbt, horn sp) though I have not tryed the accubonds they shoot great in my 338. So in my way of thinking  the rifle just prefers 168gr over 165gr. but the only two hunting bullets I can find in 168gr. are the combined technology silvertip and the berger vld. They are pretty much the same price but the berger really looks like a match bullet which makes me wonder what it's performance on game will be like. Has anyone used either of these two bullets on game?  I know putting any bullet in the right place will work. Plus from what everyone has told me so far match bullets don't perform well on game. Any info would be great or if there are other 168gr hunting bullets out there by all means let me know, Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: Berger or combined technology
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:18:40 AM »
 :) simplicity,  I took last years deer with a Berger.  The Berger VLD "Hunting" bullet is basically their match bullet with a hunting bullet

jacket.  It has been used successfully on African planes game, see Burgers web site.  I used the 168grn in my 308 & found them to be

extremly accurate.

I took my deer @ 80yds,  the bullet intered the left side lung, crossed the top of the heart, exited the right side lung breaking 2 ribs, broke

the upper leg bone & left a 3/4" exit hole in the hide.  The deer was found 35yds away in a large puddle of blood.  ;D

Hope this helps !  GOOD SHOOTING-GOOD HUNTING   -  Jim
Jim

Offline shot1

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:45:13 AM »
I bet those other bullets will shoot if you play with the seating depth. The Berger VLD HUNTING, they make a thick jacket match only bullet also. The VLD Hunting bullet will go into a deer even through the shoulder bones 2 to 3 inches and then really open up and come apart and leave huge exit wounds. Berger suggest you use the 155 gr VLD in the 308 for deer. I used the 155 to kill one deer with. I did exactly as described. You will really have to play with the seating depth with the Bergers. I think they have the way to find the seating depth that will shoot well in you rifle on their web site. I would play with the seating depth with those other bullets before I spent a bunch of money on the Bergers. I have found that the 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip with 46 grs of IMR 4895 makes a really accurate load and it kills deer like lightening struck them. Try a seating depth of 10 thousands off the lands and see how your bullets shoot. If they do not perform there back them off the lands 5 thousands at a time. You might tinker with the powder up or down a half grain at a time to see what that does. 

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 12:24:55 PM »
Barnes are kinda out of the question cause of the price, I've been playing with the depths but am limited to the magasine lentgh as to how far out I can go. It just seems like the rifle really likes the 168gr over the 165's and 150's.  The 168's usually will group under .5 moa while all the others at 1-1.5 moa. The only reason why I asked about these two bullets is because they make them in 168gr.