Author Topic: Took the 357 Maxi out for another Spin!  (Read 705 times)

Offline Handi-Fan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Took the 357 Maxi out for another Spin!
« on: July 23, 2010, 09:14:54 AM »
 I just came back from an outing with the new maxi. I am pleased it is showing very good results with Hornady 180 SSP and Imr-4227 I started out with 18grs. went to 22.8 Showing good results with 20.4 giving 1 5/8" @100 and 21.4 giving 1 1/4" @100 ;D. Groups went down hill after that :(. I know 20.4 is about max. but during testing I keep check for pressure signs. And there were none in my gun!!!! So if you try these loads be very careful and don't use them in a SB-1 Framed gun PLEASE!! H-110 was showing promise with Hornadys 158FP, I wasn't to impressed with Lil gun. I going to do more testing with 21.4grs. to see if the groups will stay consistently producing 1 1/4" groups. Again I would like to Thank Tim for the use of his reamer!! ;D I would have posted target pictures but my AR jumped out of my gun case and shot them just full of holes can you believe that!!!! ;D Next time I'm leaving that old AR at home so I can post some pics.

I don't know if these loads would be safe in anyone elses firearm use with caution!!!

Have A Fine Day! ;D ;D

Offline Ruskin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Took the 357 Maxi out for another Spin!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:36:47 AM »
What about the H-110 and 158 gr.  I am trying to work up a load for the 158 gr.  I think it is probably the best bullet for 357 or max.  Is the 180gr a 35 rifle bullet?

I have been looking for hornady to produce a leverlultion in the 158.  I saw a 140 gr at Midway.

I have also started using a lee crimp die to roll a tighter crimp for 110 powder. I don't think 4227 requires the tight crimp.

I am using an aimpoint 2x with 2moa; therefore at 100yds I don't expect to have as tight a group as I would have with crosshairs.  I wanted it to shoot late in the evening when crosshairs don't show up.

Offline Handi-Fan

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 01:13:22 PM »
 The H-110 loads were over max. recommendations by load manuals as well. My gun produced best groups with 18.0 and 19.5 grains respectively. the 19.5 grain load was starting to show pressure signs groups were running 1.75 to 2.00" @ 100 Even though the hornady 180 is a bullet designed for single shot pistols it can work quite well in rifles. Just keep in mind if your gun is a rechambered 357 mag. to maxi. that the barrel will probably have a 357 groove diameter the 180 are .358 diameter. This is not always a problem but you need to keep a close eye on pressure signs, ringing just ahead of the rim, flattened or cratered primers. If you use any of this data please be careful!!!!! I've been doing this for a long time and I still won't assure you that this data will be safe in your gun. My manual list load range for the 158 to be 15.0-18.0 grains, this was also fired in a TC Contender according to the manual. As far as your scope choice it is personal preference. I use the Bushnell Elite 3200 or 4200. Their new Trophy Scopes are awfully clear as well. Have one of the 250 DOA's on my muzzle loader. And all provide plenty of light well after last light....

Have Fun and Be safe!  ;D ;D

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:52:56 AM »
I am shooting a Contender.  I have a pistol and carbine barrel.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »
I don't have a 357 so I can't speak on that but... I APPLAUD YOU FOR YOUR MESSAGE OF "USE WITH CAUTION"
Excellent job my friend and a fine example to all on how things should be done.

Spanky

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 03:51:12 PM »
To be sure I'm reading correctly, your H110 load was with a 158 gr.? or a 180?

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:22:17 PM »
158 gr

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 05:04:20 PM »
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Handi-Fan

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 02:43:21 PM »
Thank You Spanky! I was once upon a time renagade experimenter until I blew up a Colt Whitetailer pistol. Took two cylinder walls completely out of the pistol. I went to the emergency room to have some real nice stainless steel removed from my hand and arm. Talking about fun having a guy digging in your hand and arm with a nice sharp instrument. I thought he was mining for something.That hurt worse than the gun blowing up in my hand. Because I chose to ignore the pressure signs I was seeing. :-[ That was thirty years ago and I can still hear the big bang that gun made WOW!!! :o Some people don't realize how quick you can get into trouble veering away from what you see in a loading manual. Thats why now I check, dbl. check, tripple check and if I'm distracted I check it again. I try not to be a slow learner ;D.