Author Topic: Boyds Gunstocks  (Read 2170 times)

Offline fortvalley

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Boyds Gunstocks
« on: July 30, 2010, 01:04:22 PM »
Guys,

I was searching for replacement stocks for NEF handi rifles and found and older link to Boyds Gunstocks for a laminate thumbhole stock they made back at the beginning of 2010.  They are no longer in stock.  I called Boyds and asked them if they still make them.  They currently don't but took down my request and will email/call when they make them again. 

I would suggest that if anyone is interested in the Boyds thumbhole stock they made, give them a call and put in a request.  Here is a link to their website:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

Thanks.

Eric

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Boyds Gunstocks
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 02:06:22 PM »
Old news Eric, H&R sells the Boyd's thumbhole laminates, they come on several H&R firearms, they're listed on the accessory barrel page. Boyd's only sells 2nds and overruns, H&R is the only retailer that sells the stocks other than seconds you'll find on ebay occasionally.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline fortvalley

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »
Tim,

Thanks for the info.  I'm new to handi rifles and did not know that Boyds only carried the seconds.  Thanks!

Eric

Offline jw1044

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 04:26:55 PM »
Although they are considered seconds, they are pretty nice, with a Decellerator recoil pad included.  I have two of them and I could not find a blemish anywhere that would make them seconds.  The worst part is the matching forearm is only available through H&R and it will end up costing more than the stock.  Plus it is longer than the normal forearm that comes on the rifles.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 04:48:29 PM »
JW is right, Boyd's must be real picky on what's a first, their seconds are great looking stocks, I have 4 of them, all with Decelarator pads, one had a bare spot in the finish, 3 coats of Tru-oil and you can't tell it was ever there, the others look perfect to me. I paid less than $30 for one of em, the others cost $42-$70 IIRC. As for forends, if you get the cinnamon, there's no problems, H&R offers them on their Ultra rifles, but the camo is only available on the Ultra Slug Hunter deluxe models which have a bigger forend.

Tim

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 07:21:17 PM »
JW is right, Boyd's must be real picky on what's a first, their seconds are great looking stocks, I have 4 of them, all with Decelarator pads, one had a bare spot in the finish, 3 coats of Tru-oil and you can't tell it was ever there, the others look perfect to me. I paid less than $30 for one of em, the others cost $42-$70 IIRC. As for forends, if you get the cinnamon, there's no problems, H&R offers them on their Ultra rifles, but the camo is only available on the Ultra Slug Hunter deluxe models which have a bigger forend.

Tim

Are the forearms bigger or do they just have a bigger barrel channel or ??
I need one to match my buttstock. :-\

Spanky

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 07:37:21 PM »
I don't have one Spanky, but it's been posted before that the only camo forend they have now is longer, someone with a 20ga USH Deluxe would have to answer that. I always thought the 20ga USH took the same forend, but not having one, I don't know.  ???

Tim

Offline jw1044

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 05:04:39 AM »
The two I bought from H&R are 11.5 inches long and they definitely have the larger barrel channel.  Mine are on a 280 w/ 26" barrel and a 45-70 w/ 27" so they don't look too bad.  If you put them on a gun with a 22" barrel you might want to shorten them.  The standard forearms that I have are 8.25" long.

H&R said the forearm they sold me were the only ones they are now carrying, but take that for what it's worth. 

On the plus side, they are a perfect color match