Author Topic: 22-250 AI  (Read 305 times)

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
22-250 AI
« on: July 31, 2010, 05:26:03 PM »
I bought this barrel from Mitchell, he rechambered a 24" fluted 223 to get a true AI chambering.  I fitted it to one of my frames with some 600 grit and about an hour worth of time.  Put a surivior fore end on it, cheap Walmart bipod, a Mueller 4.5x14x40 APT 30mm scope, in cheap ebay rings.  My main reason for buying it was to have a truck rifle I can use for shooting a random coyotes out to 400 yards or so and to fire form brass once I build a bolt action.  I figured if I could get a 3" group at 400 yards with it I would be happy.  I picked up a box of Winchester White box, the 46 gr HP's at "4000FPS".  I had the rifle sighted in quickly with my future wife calling out where the bullets were landing on the side of the hill I had it on my steel plate target in 3 shots and just about dead nuts on the 4th shot at 100 yards.

There is a small gopher I bounced a bullet into, wasnt a direct hit but it worked.

Like I said I was hoping for a 3" group at 400 yards and it looks like it might actually happen once I get some good bullets loaded up.  Those Winchesters only did about 3/4" at 100, 2.5" at 300, and 3 out of 5 hit the steel plate at 800 yards the plate is 7x12" , which took about 23.5-24 MOA to get it zeroed.

My steel plate target

Should be a good coyote rifle.
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
Re: 22-250 AI
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 06:24:37 AM »
I remember that barrel for sale a few weeks ago, I was sad that I missed it.  :'(

It is a 1/9 twist, right?  You will probably get better accuracy with a heavier bullet. 

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 08:25:51 AM »
Hopefully heavier bullets shoot well, I have 69gr and 75gr sitting in my cabinet I am going to try out.  I finished up the WWB ammo yesterday so last night I tumbled it, sized, trimmed, neck turned, and deburred the flash hole.  I am going to load some heavies up today and hopefully test them this afternoon.
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 10:04:53 AM »
Hopefully heavier bullets shoot well, I have 69gr and 75gr sitting in my cabinet I am going to try out.  I finished up the WWB ammo yesterday so last night I tumbled it, sized, trimmed, neck turned, and deburred the flash hole.  I am going to load some heavies up today and hopefully test them this afternoon.

That's what I want a 1/9 22-250 barrel for, heavy bullets(75-80 grain). Keep us updated.

I will probably get one made if you have good results with heavy bullets.