Author Topic: New Stint  (Read 514 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
New Stint
« on: August 02, 2010, 09:12:24 AM »
I'm getting all kinds of calls this morning.  Many yelling at me for not saying anything about my stay in the Hospital last week.  To me not a big deal.  I had been having an annoying littl pain in the chest for the last few weeks.  Not bad just an annoyance to me.  

Wednesday I was at the Gym doing my usual routine.  I had worked in the free weight room for about a half hour then went up stairs to the Cardio Room.  After finishing my work on the Nautalis equipment I moved to a stationary bike.  I started peddeling and set up the resistance, and darn that annoying little pain was back.  I peddled for about 10 minutes, but it would not go away this time.  My heart rate was only in the mid 80s, so that should not have been a problem I thought.  So I got off the bike and started walking away.  Suddenly it felt like someone was stabbing me under my left shoulder blade.  I sort of stooped over, and stopped walking.  Then my left arm went numb, and the little pain became major.  I grabbed my chest and other people around me went into action.  One guy called the front desk, two others helped me get to a seat and sit down.

Allen the facility manager and a good friend was the first to arrive, he was carrying a defibulator, and a bottle of asprine.  Allen had his resident EMT in tow.  She gave me four asprine, and started asking all kinds of questions.  Allen stood over me till the city EMTs arrived, along with firemen.  The EMTs got an IV started, put me on Oxygen, then got me into this wheelchair type contraption.  They wheeled me through the Gym, down the elevator, and out to the ambulance.  Then off to Fairbanks Memorial.

At the Emergency room they did a series of EKGs, took blood, and monitored my diffusion rate.  Then the Cardiologist came in with good news.  "You did not have a heart attack" was the first words out of his mouth. The cardiologist said since I had failed my stress test for that day, he wanted to go in and have a look see at what was going on.  So he admitted me to the hospital.  

Next morning we went down to the Cath Lab.  I’m laying there as the doc and the assistants was getting me ready then the Doc said “Let’s get this show on the road”.  I watched him pick up a schapel, he then reached down and made a slice in my groin area.  I laughing responded, “Ouch Doc I feel that”.  He looked at me and said “Hurt did it”?  I replied “Darned right” and laughed.  He said “Oops, sorry you won’t feel no more, guaranteed”, then nodded to the person sitting at my head.  Can’t say the lights went out, but they sure got dim.  I was looking around watching people doing their jobs, but I no longer carred.  What they were doing did not register, I was just there watching, and not caring about anything.  Then we were taking an elevator ride back to my room.  That’s when the lights went out.

Back in my room I remember the nurse telling to lie still, I could not get up.  I told her my back was hurting and I had to move around.  Doc said for you to lie in your back for two hours, so she gave me a pain pill.  I went back to sleep.  A while later the Doc came in and said I had a shiny new stint.  I had a 78% blockage in one of my arteries, right next to an old stint.  Then he started chastising the VA doctors for taking me off the Lipitor and Plavix.   He said he wanted me to spend the night, then he would release me the following morning.  Thursday morning I had breakfast, showered, then left.

Went back to the Gym this morning and worked out at my normal routine.  Everything is back to normal.

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: New Stint
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:33:06 AM »
Glad to hear your okay.  ;)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »
Whew!   :o  Glad you're okay!  When was your first stent put in?  I think mine was about 3 years ago...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:42:48 AM »
At Law:  I had a By-Pass in 2001.  In 2003 the By-Pass failed, they wanted to redo it.  I said no, I'll die first, you are not cutting me open again like that.  So they treated me with drugs till 2005.  In 2005 they were able to punch through the original stoppage and put in a stint.  So for five years I been doing fine, till the last few months.  That little annoying pain started.  I've never had a Heart Attack.  It's always been caught before I got that far.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline powderman

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 12:38:09 PM »
SOURDOUGH. Prayers sent friend. I had a heart attack and 5 bypasses in 2003. I now have an enlarged heart that makes it hard to breathe. The attack came about 3 am at home in bed. I wasn't sure what was happening but I got up, drank some milk and chewed several aspirin, went to the hospitol 2 days later. That annoying little pain you got was your heart talking to you, I'd been having pains for 4 or 5 months before the heart attack. I kept denying I had a problem and kept working, STOOOOPID. Listen to what your body tells you and live longer. WM pushed me til I quit because of daily chest pains and taking nitro pills almost daily, they won. Still can't breathe but haven't had to take a nitro in 6 months since I left that hole. Learn from this my friend. Charlie.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline DDZ

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 03:54:48 PM »
Sourdough, PM, Its stories like these that save peoples lives.
I know many that shrug off chest pains as indigestion or something else, because they don't want to believe it may be a blocked artery or heart disease. Many that put off getting their ticker checked out don't live to tell a story. I had a friend that shrugged off some shortness of breath, as just working to many hours. He died a few days later having a massive heart attack. Another close friend, and coworker went to a chiropractor because of a bad pain in his back. He died of a massive heart attack the same day after leaving the chiropractor's office. He was only 43.
Any abnormal chest or back pain, or shortness of breath, its a good idea to get to an emergency room asap. Doing so, may very well save your life.   
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »
I had a triple bypass in 05. I was home and at first thought I had bad heart burn. That is untill it nocked me to the floor. I had a massive heart attack and was lucky that the EMT was here in less than two minutes. They basicly crucified me, took my heart out and packed my body with ice while they worked on it. A year later it was all blocked compliments of Agents Orange and Pink. Another bypass was not an option. They said stents were too risky for where the blockages are. They put me on high doses of Statin cholesterol meds. That disolved the blockages some. Then in 09 they got one stent in as there was no choice but to try. Been holding my own since. I know what you mean not wanting to be cut open again. During my bypass both lungs collapsed. I had 8 tubes in me at once. The hardest part was the look on my son's face when seeing me. That hurt the most, him having to see me like that. I'm still having a lot of chest pain and as yet the doctors are still just guessing as to why. I'd have to think hard about another bypass. It's pretty intense having one done. I now take 5 meds just for my heart, one for tryglycerides and another for cholesterol. Sourdough, & Powderman hang tough guys. Prayers sent for you both.....SH ^i^

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 04:59:46 PM »
You know that bear fat jerky will do it every time---taste good though.
Glad you escaped. I enjoy reading you to much to let you go.
It is amazing what they can do today without surgery.
The Lord bless you and keep you, have mercy on your sorry old self as he does on mine.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 06:43:51 PM »
Been there and done that. Mothers day, was getting ready to go to the daughters for a b-b-q. Told the Mrs. wasant feeling right. (wife is ex EMT, and Nurse). In the truck and off to the hospital. They start an I V and hook me up to the EKG machine. My cardioligist happen to be at the hosp. He comes in and checks me over and orders an ambulance, and off to Sutter hosp. in Sacramento I go. Next morning doc runs the camera up to look things over. I already have 2 stents in. Had to have one roto rootered couple yrs. ago and they put a nuke pill in each end and zapped it to keep  it from clogging up again. This time the other one was clogged up real bad and they pulled it out and replaced it with 2 stents. Next day Dr. said the staff told them they had had enough of me, so he sent me home.  ::) 2 weeks of not being able to pick up anything over 5 lbs bout drove me nuts.  Wife said if I dint want to go to the b-b-q why dint I just say so, instead of going to that extreem.  ::)

Gun Runner

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »
Just got home from town.  Went to the Gym this morning, and went back to my reguler routine.  Did fine on the free weights, then went to the Nautilis.  Shoulder started hurting so I knocked it off for the day.  Did not ride the bike.  Will see how it goes Wednesday. 

Tomorrow is a day of shooting.  Taking 4-wheeler with me tomorrow.  Not sure I want to walk out multiple times to the targets when they are out 500 to 1000 yards.

Planning on going to the 40 mile country in two weeks to waylay Wolves, and maybe a Grizzly or two.  Then when Caribou Season opens I'll already have found where they are hanging out.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline boondocker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 04:15:35 AM »
Its good to see you made out well and kudos to all that sprung into action at the gym.
Seems like a  treat  to lunch, a nice salad and a yogurt ice cream.  It nice to have great friends and neighbors
that will spring into action. I had the opportunity to lend a hand and stabilize an older gentleman that fell off a 12 ft scaffolding
unto asphalt with broken legs. It was very gratifying to get a big Thanks when he came to the shop.

Offline powderman

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 04:39:49 AM »
Seems like a  treat  to lunch, a nice salad and a yogurt ice cream.

Negative on the yogurt ice cream, tried it. YUUUUUUUUUUKKKK. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 05:12:16 AM »
I hope the stent works out for you. I have a friend that just had to have one to replace one that failed. The doctor told him no more stents, if that one fails he will have to have by pass surgery. I sure hope those stints hold up for both of you.
                                      Beerbelly

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 07:59:18 AM »
Beerbelly:  The old stints were just made from surgical stainless steel, and had a bad habit of collecting platlets and plugging back up.  Thye new ones are coated with a polimer that does not attract platelets. 
What Is A Veteran?

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 01:20:22 PM »
Like I said I sure hope they do the job. You can be thankful you are living at this time. They can work magic in the heart field now days. Best of luck to you.
                           Beerbelly

Offline FourBee

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 03:26:14 PM »
Sourdough; looks like you're recovery is going great.   I went thru the same ordeal in February.   No Stint because the 50-60% clog is in the large (thumb sized) artery entering the heart (unless it reaches 70%), so they're treating it with drugs.

They did change my heart meds, which was the real culprit, causing chest pains, joint pains, and swelling of the feet.  Those symptoms are gone now, thank God. 
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 05:35:24 PM »
FourBee:  In 2005 I was being treated with drugs since I refused to allow themk to do another By-Pass.  I starterd having chest pains that would not stop.  They sent me off to Anchorage.  As soon as I got there the Cardiologist said, "Rog, they are ODing you on atennalol".  "But since you are here, let's take a look at what you got in there".  We discussed a new study that had just been published from France, about how they had discovered that people that took Lipator over an extended period of time had blood clots disolved by the Lipator.  So they did another Cath.  While looking at my total blockage where the By-Pass had failed the Doc noticed a differance in the clot.  He compared the pictures of my clot in 2001 and what he was looking at in real time.  He told me "Hang on this might hurt a bit".  And it did, but he was then able to punch through the total blockage, and put in a stint.

I've had no problems since then till the last few months.  Four months after the MD took me off the Lipator.  The Cardiologist said I am one of those guys that will be on Lipator for life. 
What Is A Veteran?