Author Topic: Question about Draw System  (Read 675 times)

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Question about Draw System
« on: July 25, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »
I am just getting familiar with the draw process for western states hunting so forgive me if this is a dumb question. What happens if you put in for a draw and get the license, but then decline it. Are you typically obligated to then pay for the tag anyway? The reason I ask is that several people have told me to start putting in for certain areas that are hard to draw. I would like to do that so that I can accumulate points for when the time comes I can actually afford to go. But what if I get lucky and draw. I am concerned that I would then be in the predicament of having the tag but not the money for the trip or the ability to get the time off to do it (since I wasn't really ready to go yet). Thanks.
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Question about Draw System
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 01:37:54 PM »
In Arizona, you can apply for just a bonus point. There is a drawback however. You must apply by mail only, no online application process anymore. And, you must also apply for (buy) an AZ hunting license. A general non-resident hunting license is 151.25. The "Bonus Point Only" fee is 7.50 per species you want a point for. If you're only putting in for a bonus point for a single species, then you'll send in your application plus fees for license and bonus point, = $158.75. If you want to apply for multiple species, you'll have to include the fees for each application. You'll only be issued one hunting license, and the fees for the other licenses will be refunded to you. But, either way, you will have one hunting license bought and paid for, and that's each year you apply.

So for example, if you apply for the bonus point for elk, you'll send the $158.75 in time for the elk draw deadline of the 2nd Tuesday in Feb. You will get your bonus pt for elk, AND be issued an AZ non-resident hunting license for the year.

Now, for the deer draw, you will again apply for a bonus pt before the deadline of the 2nd Tuesday in June. BUT, you already have your license (was issued to you in the elk draw), so you'll just include your license number in the application form for the deer bonus pt, and you'll just send the $7.50 fee for the bonus pt.

I hope that answered your questions, as far as AZ is concerned. I can't help you with any of the other western states, so maybe some other state hunters will chime in...

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 01:41:02 PM »
Here's the website to AZ Game and Fish:

http://www.azgfd.gov/

You can download the current hunting regs as a pdf file.

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 07:20:15 PM »
Hey Slim., it's a hell of a racket game and fish has going on,isn't it? ;)

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 09:18:30 PM »
Yup, sure is. I really want the job of the guy that flies over each game management area and "counts" the number of deer they see. They seem to think this is an "accurate" way to figure game populations??

:o

Some of the avail tag numbers in certain hunt areas, you just KNOW are pulled out of someone's backside...

::) ::)

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 01:32:03 PM »
My old neigbor was the manager for Unit 42,retired for about ten years. he was old school. He did his surveys on foot,and I went with him many times. Problem is, ain't no more old skoolers with with Game and Fish anymore. He was pretty damn accurate on his counts.