Author Topic: I like happy endings...Good news out of Virginia  (Read 235 times)

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
I like happy endings...Good news out of Virginia
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:55:06 PM »

Two Alexandria-area men fended off would-be burglars Monday morning with gunfire, killing one and putting two more in the hospital in two unrelated cases, police report.

The first incident took place around 1:30 a.m. in the 6000 block of Old Boyce Highway near Alexandria when Donnie Baggett -- asleep on the floor of his living room -- allegedly heard a noise and looked up to see a masked man standing over him, Baggett said. He grabbed his .38-caliber pistol and "took a couple of shots at (the intruder). Apparently, I hit him."

The suspect -- whom authorities had not identified as of Monday evening because the case was still under investigation -- was later admitted into a local intensive care unit in an Alexandria hospital, Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office authorities said.

Three hours after the Old Boyce Highway incident, a similar scenario occurred on the other side of Alexandria.

Armed men entered a home around 4:25 a.m. in the 4900 block of Willow Glen Street in Alexandria, city police officials said. Resident Roy Harris Jr., his wife and two young children awoke during the break-in.

While his wife and children hid, Harris grabbed a gun and began firing at the intruders, police said. Harris shot and killed Darwin Johnson, 24, of the 2700 block of Ninth St., Alexandria, authorities said.

Harris also shot and wounded another suspect, who went to a local hospital for surgery, police said. The suspect was in stable condition as of Monday evening.

Police did not release the identity of the injured suspect because the incident is still under investigation. Officers were told there might have been a third suspect, but they were not able to confirm it.

Harris declined to comment about the incident.

No charges have been filed against Harris or Baggett.

For Baggett, this was not the first time someone has broken into his home. He had been sleeping on the floor of his residence since Wednesday night after someone burglarized his home two days in a row, he said. He awoke last Tuesday to find one of his exterior doors wide open and his television, pet shears, refrigerated food, rifle and wristwatch missing.

He reported the break-in to authorities and purchased a new television and dog shears, he said. On Wednesday morning, he found that his new TV, an air conditioner, groceries, refrigerated food, $200 to $400 cash from his wallet and new dog shears were gone, and the door was open again.

"Apparently, he (the thief) was going to move in with me," Baggett said in an interview Monday. "He spent as much time in my place as I did last week."

Baggett began sleeping on his floor with his pistol until Sunday night, he said. He figured out how the burglar was getting inside and posted himself near there facing the entry point.

Concerning the two failed home invasions Monday morning, Baggett said, "Maybe some of these guys might want to pick a new occupation."

Doesn't that just touch your heart?
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: I like happy endings...Good news out of Virginia
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:30:11 PM »
It truly is heart warming to see burglars get what their asking for.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »
Too many of them lived for it to be a truly happy ending. A good start though.

I'm surprised the one guy didn't get charged with something for waiting with a loaded gun. Glad he didn't just surprised.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Squib

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 05:40:21 PM »
it's disgusting that criminals get medical care.  that is right up there with illegal immigrant "rights" and welfare for the healthy but lazy.  they should either be hit in the face with a maul (repeatedly) or just dumped into a trash truck and compacted.  they lose their rights when they predate society.