Author Topic: substitute lighter bullet weight for a given load ?  (Read 328 times)

Offline steelhead51

• Trade Count: (14)
substitute lighter bullet weight for a given load ?
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:37:34 AM »
Can you substitute a lighter bullet ,I want to load a 215 grain lead bullet in a 44 mag case useing universal powder . There's data useing this powder for a 200 grain and for 240 grain but nothing for the 215 . Lee loading manual says on page 103 you can use a lighter bullet for a load but doesnt say just how light, would I be better . with the minnum load for the 240 grainer then work up, or load it with the 200 grain data, these bullets are gas checked ,and universal powder is in abundance on the bench!

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: substitute lighter bullet weight for a given load ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 12:19:54 PM »
I would go with the minimum data for the 240 gr as my starting point for loading 215 gr bullets and work up. One thought, Have you actually checked one of those bullets to see if it is 215 grs? Many of the cast bullets that you purchase don't weigh exactly what it says on the box. It always pay off to start light on your loads and work up. Most of the time you will find your best accuracy before you get to a max load.