Author Topic: Bullet weight vs ballistic coefficient  (Read 683 times)

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
Bullet weight vs ballistic coefficient
« on: August 25, 2004, 12:10:56 PM »
How do you compare statistics between different calibers?  By bullet weight or ballistic coefficient?  I tend to go with bullet weight but maybe you can change my mind.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 01:40:37 PM »
As a hunter who would never consider a shot as far as 300 yds, so BC is meaningless to me.

When comparing cartridges of the same bore size I tend to look at bullet weight and velocity (within certain parameters).

When comparing various bore diameters I still look at the velocity - balanced to bore size - and sectional density (prefering something in the .250 to .300 range).
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 05:32:52 PM »
SD is the more normal comparison for terminal performance. But in reality unless you are comparing bullets of very similar make up this too has little meaning. The SD changes the moment the bullet impacts animal.

Thus a bullet like the Nosler PT might start with a lower SD than a conventional cup jacket bullet but end up being far superior on game. Same with the newer bonded core bullets.

Trouble is SD is truly applicable ONLY if all else is equal. In the real world all else is SELDOM equal.

If you really want good performance when bullet hits big game use heavy for caliber bullets and be sure to match caliber to game size. Velocity is nice but grossly over rated.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 06:11:52 AM »
It depends on what "statistics" you are comparing. If it is purely energy or velocity between different calibers or bullets of the same caliber, then I look at bullet weight. Only if I were comparing trajectory between two bullets of the same caliber or identical bullet weights in different calibers would I care much about the BC.

In my practical experience, I would have to second Graybeard's observations. Velocity and modest differences in energy are both mightily overrated things. Unless your bullet is traveling too slow for the job (which is a lot slower than most people realize), IMO you gain a lot more in bullet integrity and penetration with low velocity than you gain with "shock value" at higher velocities. In real hunting conditions for medium to large game at ranges under 250 yards, the difference in trajectory at slower vs. faster velocities is insignificant within a given bullet weight range, and the BC difference between bullets is an exercise in splitting hairs unless you are comparing a flat-nose to an SST, or something equally drastic. Only at long ranges and/or with small targets would BC likely have much influence on what bullet I would choose for any application.

In fact, all my hunting loads are now formulated based on this process: choose the bullet weight and construction for best performance on game at moderate to low velocity, determine the max range for my shots, determine the low end range of velocity/energy I want for that game, set that figure at the maximum range, work backwards to the muzzle to determine my desired muzzle velocity, and load for that velocity. In that way I get a load that has minimal blast and recoil and a bullet that travels at the SLOWEST desirable velocity through the range I will be shooting. Trajectory is then measured and sight-in and holdover values are determined accordingly. I also seldom come close to the max loads listed in the reloading manuals, and find my accuracy to well exceed the demands of my hunting.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.