Author Topic: Am I have chamber problems???  (Read 934 times)

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Am I have chamber problems???
« on: August 14, 2010, 02:18:16 PM »
I picked up a 6mm-284 barrel for a Savage and am getting sticky extraction with loads way below what should be max. With 100 gn. bullets my velocity is below what I could get with a .243. There are no other signs of presure so I`m wandering if I have a rough of rusty chamber. I`m going to polish the chamber, but if anyone has other ideas I`m open. Thanks Catfish

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
Re: Am I have chamber problems???
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:08:49 AM »
    I had a 6 X 284 on a Mauser 98 action that acted the same way. What I found to be the problem with my rifle was the necks on the brass were to thick.  My brass was Winchester 284 necked down to 6 X 284 in 2 steps.  When you fire a round in your barrel take the brass case and see if you can easily insert a 6 mm bullet into the neck with just finger pressure. If not you may have the same problem as I did.
    I think most 6 X 284 chamber reamers dont allow enough neck clearance for necked down brass without neck turning.  284 Win. already has thicker than average necks than most other calibers, hope this helps.
        Jed
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Catfish

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:01:15 PM »
jedman, Thanks for the reply, but that not it. I have .004 neck expantion and put .002 on the wildcats I build. You can usually find that problem before you fire a round as the rounds should be hard to chamber. Thanks for the reply though, it`s often that I over look the simplest things.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 04:28:52 PM »
Catfish, I had similar troubles with a .264  and finally found the chamber had been egged when it was made...in that case poor gunsmithing was the problem...

Offline Catfish

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 01:53:10 PM »
jedman, You were right after all. I didn`t shove the bullets in far enough. Brass flow inside. I insided turned 1 case after fireing 3 times befor I got it close. I think I can shoot 60 gr. bullets in it without getting down to the tight spot and if I turn them after each fireing I should be able to get them to work with the 100 gn. bullets. In the mean time I`m going to get some new 6.5-284 brass nad form some new cases for coyote hunting. Probly turn them inside after every fireing. Even after 55 yrs. of reloading you still run into new problems.  ::)

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
After turning quite a few /308 cases into .243s a friend gave me an artical about a nice pre 64 model seventy letting go with a situation such as that.

After that, I started turning all case necks on this conversion.

Before that time, I had seen a 243 AI give a problem with a formed case, and we didn't know the cause of the very high pressure.

I chose to outside turn the the case necks, hoping to have a more concentric case then just allowing the reamer to follow an off center internal case neck.

Not sure if that was a good idea, but seemed reasonable to me.

Keep em coming!

CDOC

300 Winmag

Offline Catfish

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Latest, I spent $ 50 for 50 6.5-284 brass and run 1 through my 6-284 Redding dies it would not chamber. I have to turn the barrel out about 1 1/2 turns to get them to chamber. As of now I`m thinking it`s short chambered. May have to have a finish reamer ran into it again.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 09:44:41 AM »
Your barrel is not short chambered. Turning the barrel in and out is savages way of head spacing.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 03:38:33 AM »
Billy,
 Your right for Savage barrels, but this is a custom 3 barrel gun and no longer has the the locking nut, but the barrels are threadeed in to a witness mark just like on the other actions. There is no way for me to keep the barrel tight unless I extend the threads and put a barrel nut on it, and then there would be alittle more case head out of the chamber that I like. I`m going to take it back to the Smith that built it and let him look at it and tell me what he thinks. If he has the reamer it should be a simple thing, if not I`ll go to plan B, what ever that is.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 10:01:05 AM »
Problem found. I took the barrel and action back to the smith that built my gun. The stamping on the bottom of the barrel that I could not make out said 6 BR, so someone else has rechambered the barrel. My guess is that it was for a different action. The only solution is to rechamber it. Won`t need much, just run a finish reamer in alittle deeper, problem is I don`t have a reamer and it`ll cost me $ 60 to get him to do it for me. Project moved to back burnner for a while.  :'(