Author Topic: howitzer Vs. Howitzer  (Read 754 times)

Offline dirtdobber1919a4

• Trade Count: (0)
howitzer Vs. Howitzer
« on: August 18, 2010, 04:46:56 AM »
what was the application differences in the 12 pounder vs the 24 pounder howitzer? i know the 12 was used as a very portable artillery piece while in use with a pack carriage, then used in the field with a more standard carriage and limber.  im more interested in how the 24 was used.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: howitzer Vs. Howitzer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 07:25:37 AM »
Civil War site: To the Sound of the Guns - Civil War Artillery, Battlefields and Historical Markers - 24-pdr Field Howitzers
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline robbob

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:42:24 AM »
Interesting read.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 11:55:56 AM »
The 24 pdr Howitzer throws larger, more powerful shells, and canister.  More usefully employed in defensive positions or in siege operations than a 12 pdr field howitzer. 
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
I am thinking this barrel was mounted on a #1 field carriage.  If that is correct, it could also be considered "flying artillery" and moved around on a battlefield.  Even a Napoleon on a #2 carriage was easily moved about in the field.
Does anyone know the weight of this barrel?  The Napoleon was 1280 lbs. If memory serves me correctly.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 01:47:32 PM »
The 24 pdr Howitzer weighs in at just over 1300 lbs and is mounted on a number 2 carriage.  The bronze Model 1841 12 pdr Howitzer weighs just under 800 lbs and is mounted on a number 1 carriage.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »
Dirtdobber,

This site gives a description of the intended uses of the U.S. M1841 Mountain Howitzer.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »
 Now don't forget there were both a 12lb mountain & a 12lb field howitzer

and the field would be throwing the ball a bit further....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium