Author Topic: Any of you use an RCBS Little Dandy measure?  (Read 976 times)

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
Any of you use an RCBS Little Dandy measure?
« on: June 08, 2010, 05:15:07 PM »
I've been looking at the little dandy, and was wondering how easy it is to use?  How much trouble is it to match a rotor to a particular charge?  How accurate is the rotor chart?  Is there an easy method of figuring out which rotors to buy short of getting all of them?  It seems like it could turn into a major expense.

Thanks,
Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: Any of you use an RCBS Little Dandy measure?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
 I bought one 6 months ago & like it a lot. A guy on the firinglineforums sells a custom adjustable rotor for the LD that works great. I can get it to +/-  0.1 grains with a 5.0 grn charge of Titegroup & the like. I've mostly used it with TG & H Universal. I have not bought any of the fixed rotors for the LD. There are other measures out there that will also work with the light handgun charges. I am content with the LD though. I have heard the fixed rotors may be off some on the charge you are looking for. You can 'adjust' the chamber some with glue or caulking if you want to spend the time.

FYI, The guy who makes/markets the adjustable rotor goes by 'Bailey Boat' on  'thefiringline' forums and I thought also on the S&W forums. It is very well made, stainless steel.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:04:51 AM »
i used to use them a bunch. I had two of them and all the rotors. Got pretty expensive that way but there was just something about them i liked. they work great but if your going to buy a measure your probably better served with a rcbs uniflow.
blue lives matter

Offline PA-Joe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 05:35:28 AM »
I use mine for all the pistol loads and for my 223. Fast and easy. You just have to remember to double tap on the load and off-load. I'm going to have to find the guy with the adjustable rotor.

Offline 375supermag

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 07:06:24 AM »
Hi...

I have used a Little Dandy for years for all of my reloading. I like it a lot...never goes out of adjustment and very consistent.

You may have to experiment with which rotor to use because the chart is seldom exact, depending on the powder and charge weight. If I can't find a rotor that will drop the exact charge I am looking for, I just use the one closest to that charge without going over and then trickle the balance in with an RCBS powder trickler. I can generally find a rotor that will drop within 1/10 of a grain, so for most handgun loads that is close enough since I do not load beyond recommended levels.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 07:32:06 AM »

You may have to experiment with which rotor to use because the chart is seldom exact, depending on the powder and charge weight.

This is where I see a problem.  If I have a particular charge I want to throw, have no way of buying the correct rotor.  It's just a hit or miss guess.  Unless of course you buy them all, then it runs into hundreds of dollars. 

I did end up buying the used little dandy, but I will most likely be selling it in the near future.

Thanks for all the input.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 06:41:03 PM »
I had one with every rotor they are fairly accurate and I used mine a lot when I was a single stage pistol reloader when I moved on to a dillon SDB I did not used them much they sat in a drawer in my loading room for 6-7 years collecting dust I finely sold them on ebay last year guys were paying top $ for the rotor's when I only paid 3-4 bucks each.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline 41 mag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 08:26:17 PM »
Might look at these,
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366631

I have one and haven't had the chance to put it to use just yet. Very well made though and very adjustable.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 12:33:11 AM »
I have had one for many years! GREAT little measure for plinking loads with  lite pistol and cast bullet small rifle loads.

Rotors can get expensive. I probably have about half of whats made.

I have recommended it for years.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline pmeisel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 04:09:21 AM »
I've got one and used it for a long time.... used the chart and a manual to come up with loads where a little dandy rotor threw the right charge.

But one day I got a wild hair and bought a Lee Perfect Powder Measure.  Now I like that better and the little dandy just sits.