Author Topic: Tec-9  (Read 833 times)

Offline bdj39501

• Trade Count: (0)
Tec-9
« on: December 02, 2003, 12:34:04 PM »
I figured this would be the best place to ask this question.  

Will a Tec-9 actually hold up?  As in, would it be something I could bring to the range and shoot several mags through it or is it something that shouldn't be shot a lot and needs a lot of care?  

I've heard you can shoot hundreds of rounds through them and they hold up, but I want to hear you guy's thoughts on the matter.
I'm a collector of many different things.  Some of which is military items. Japanese Swords and Tantos. I'm a gun nut! lol.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
Tec-9
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 05:52:10 AM »
I had one years ago  that i got in a 5 way trade! it was junk at least the one i had very finicky unaccurate to say the least  mags stuck alot

Offline JBT

Good Luck
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 01:27:38 PM »
oddly enough I got mine in a 3 way trade and it was awful the 10 or 15 times I shot it I think 5 rounds is the longest string I ever got off without a jam hmm maybe they work better if you actually BUY them.

JBT

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
Tec-9
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 01:59:16 PM »
I bought a new TEC-9 in 1982 and it was very reliable with the factory mag.  Aftermarket mags were a different story, although I did find one 36-shot mag which worked flawlessly.  The trigger was abomonable, but I was able to smooth it a lot and reduce the pull.  The trigger design just requires a lot of creep.

Accuracy with my reloads was good for a short range handgun - 3" groups at 25 yards were easy shot off a rest.   I used the Hornady 124 FMJ-FP bullets and 5.0 grains of W231.  I could fire 50 rounds with no malfunctions and no cleaning.

I sold the handgun a few years later when they became the weapon of choice for many inner city gangs.  Just didn't fit my image anymore.   :roll: