Author Topic: Top punch for Lee moulds  (Read 775 times)

Offline Doctor Sam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Top punch for Lee moulds
« on: January 24, 2004, 07:16:16 PM »
I bought a DC Lee Precision mould for their 300 grain .45 Colt bullet and need a top punch for my Lyman lube/sizer.

Anyone know where to get one?

Thanks.
Doctor Sam
Dr. Sam

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Top punch for Lee moulds
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 03:21:48 AM »
This is not the direct answer that you're looking for, but it may help.

You can drill out an unused top punch and, putting it in the sizer, put a little epoxy/JB Weld/Etc. in the cavity, run a greased (mould release) bullet up into it and let harden.  I recommend the 5 minute GELL epoxy.

You would think that some company would make a universal punch for just such a purpose - it would take a set of them (with different diameter nose punches & standard 1/2" diameter shoulder and .265" diameter shank) and you could fit ANYTHING!

I'm having specially made punches made for the HBC bullets (which we're having Lee make the moulds for) and the cost to have 50 made is $5.00 each.  It would be less to have 100 made.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline BlueMoon52

Top punch for Lee moulds
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 03:22:08 AM »
Doc, You may have to look in a catalog of pictures of Lyman bullets to see which one is the closest looking for the end of your Lee bullet and see which top punch is called for. But you probably already thought of that. BM

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

Top punch for Lee moulds
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 07:03:24 AM »
I was just whining about the same thing.  I like the Lee molds over the Lyman (cost and number per gang mold) but even when Midway gives you a top punch suggestion it "rings" the top of the bullet when you use it. And, yes, cheese would go nicely with my whine. :grin:

Do the same as was already mentioned.  Take what Midway suggests, clean out any oil in the cavity and place it upside down.  Put a bit of 6 min epoxy in it and give it 5-6 minutes.  Then put it in the sizer/luber and GENTLY  lower the handle down.  I wrap the bullet in plastic wrap--aways afraid I'll glue the punch and bullet together.

Go away and LEAVE IT ALONE.  Give it overnight to harden and you're there.  Might have to trim off the excess that comes out around the punch but an knife will do that in a couple of seconds.  

Just did this with a SAECO mold for 32 H&R.  Works great.  

I've used JB Weld but have to wait quite a while for it to set up before I could turn it up-side down (really right-side up but the stuff then leaks out).  The epoxy takes less of my "waiting" time.

Hope this helps,

CR
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline Castaway

Top punch for Lee moulds
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 11:53:38 AM »
Another options is a Lee sizer which also seats the gas checks.  In the Lee, the bullet goes through nose first and the bullet is pushed up at the base end.  Obviously, you'd still have to lube the bullets, but with a two cavity mould, production wouldn't be that fast any way, so had lubing would be an  option or even Lee Liquid Alox.

Offline Doctor Sam

• Avid Poster
top punch
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 05:39:12 AM »
Many thanks for your replies, Gentlemen.  I really like the epoxy method.  Glad you told me of it.
Castaway, you would be surprised how many bullets will drop within an hour using this two cavity rig.  I know, nothing like a six cavity, but with 600 grains of metal with each pore it only takes twelve to use up a pound of WW.  
I will put the epoxy on my wife's list for her next visit to WallyWorld.
I know that liquid alox works with the Lee sizing system as I have a couple of them.  I still like the alox/beeswax mixture I made years ago when  the NRA first described it.  
I was moving these 300 grain .45 Colt in a Ruger about 1200 fps with Lil'Gun and no leading.  Didn't group worth a hoot but that is for another day.
Doctor Sam
Dr. Sam

Offline Castaway

Top punch for Lee moulds
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 05:55:29 AM »
Thought about getting the Lee 300 grainer, but didn't want to go to the added expense ($ and time) to seat checks.  Anyway,  each 300 grainer I've eveer shot in my Black Hawk grouped well, but 15" high at 50 yards, even with the front sight bottomed out.  I've used JB Weld to customize a seating plug on my 45-70 dies.  Works well.  I cast an almost pure lead bullet and the die I had ringed the bullet and the bullet buldged from pressure, causing chambering problems.   Custom plug solved that problem.