Author Topic: SKS info wanted  (Read 2016 times)

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
SKS info wanted
« on: January 15, 2011, 07:53:44 AM »
I just picked up a SKS, probably not a more desirable one and I think they priced it accordingly.

It is marked  with  BRIKLEE SEM CA  MADE IN CHINA and has a 6 digit serial number.

What should this tell me about the gun.  It has a shorter barrel, less than 20" with the muzzle break, has a lug for the bayo but not included, wood stock and 20 rd metal magazine.

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: SKS info wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 02:30:20 PM »
Briklee Sem Ca is probably the importer. The description of the barrel
suggests that it may be one that the importer cut down and
sold maybe as a "Paratrooper" model. There should be more markings
on the left side of the receiver.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 05:43:48 AM »
Sounds like a Norinco sporter model in a way.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:39:59 AM »
took it out an shot it, shoots fine, the magazine is a little rough so I may get a Tapco to go along with it.  Originally I wanted to add a new stock to it, but I cant decide on one yet, if any.  It is a bastard child, with all different numbers on the receiver, stock, trigger assy, and even the barrel.  The barrel is 16.5" without the muzzle break and the gun is easy to handle (36 inches long).  Doing some reading it seems Briklee either imported these as is or altered them after getting them. 

Any idea where can I find an original 10rnd fixed magazine for it?  They are not too common online.

Offline yardmaster

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 04:12:22 AM »
let me rumage through my junk box...i may have a 10 round mag stashed away...I know I have 2 here at the house somewhere....

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:33:42 AM »
Thanks yardmaster. 

I bought before I researched, and now I am wondering how I know if it is compliant or not.  I also may someday move to California, so I know the magazine is a no-no, but then there is all the fed stuff about modifying a Chinese product???  Suppose I could just stick my head in the sand like most...

Here it is

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »
Is the muzzle brake bolt on? 
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 02:26:43 PM »
the muzzle break is a slip on, twist a lug behind the sight post, and has a set screw.  I shot it with the break on and have now taken it off.  I will try it both ways and see if I like it more with or without.

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 02:15:13 AM »
A couple of things for you..
They were made with both a treaded-on barrel, and a pinned-on barrel. The former is generally considered more desirable. It can be spotted by looking at where the barrel joins the reciever...if the barrel "bells" to a larger diameter where it joins the reciever, it is the threaded-on. If it is straight-diamter, then it is pinned on.
They were also made with a milled trigger guard and a stamped trigger guard. Generally the milled is considered more desireable, but I once had one of each, and the stamped trigger assembly had the smoother feel.
Also, they were prone to go "full-auto", due to spring issue. There are remedies availble on-line ( different springs? firing pin? ).
Enjoyable little carbines, for sure.
Mark

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 05:39:30 PM »
Also, they were prone to go "full-auto", due to spring issue. There are remedies availble on-line ( different springs? firing pin? ).

Actually the firing pin is free floating in the bolt, so there is no spring.  As long as you disassemble the bolt and firing pin periodically to clean you needn't worry about a runaway.  If you reload, you should use mil-spec primers because they are heavier to resist the inertia of the free floating firing pin as the bolt slams home.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 09:05:28 AM »
Early Russian made SKS models had a firing pin return spring in the assembly, later models did not. I think all of the Chinese were made without a spring, don't know about others.  There are companies out there that will sell you a pin with spring if you want.  I've never had any trouble with mine without the spring, just make sure after you clean it that you leave it bone dry or it can stick in the protruding position and cause slam fires.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 09:47:16 AM »
  There are a couple of gunsmiths who advertise online who you can send the trigger group to and get it back better that it came from the factory.  The best I know of is on Survivor's SKS board and goes by the screen name 'kivari'.  The triggers can be OK to terrible, and even dangerous from the factory.  A trigger tune can save you a lot of trouble and generally make the often maligned SKS a much more pleasant shooting rifle.

The way to test an SKS trigger to know if it's just crappy or downright dangerous involves two things.  First, clear the weapon.  Next, cock it and engage the safety.  Bang the butt of the gun on the floor a few times.  Go ahead and hit it as hard as you are willing to hit your floor.  Do it on a carpet and you won't hurt your floor.  Don't worry, you won't hurt the gun.  Now, check and see if the trigger mechanism slipped and let the hammer down.  Pull the trigger firmly with the safety on.  The safety on these guns works, if it is right.  If not you are only a small parts replacement away from a safety that works.  You really want that.

Next test is for the sear engagement.  Again. do this with a cleared weapon.  Cock the action.  Now, remove the dust cover, recoil spring and bolt/ bolt carrier group.  Now look closely at the hammer as you slowly pull the trigger.  It should pull back a little before breaking free and flying forward.  That means 'positive sear engagement'.  If it creeps forward before breaking, that means  'negative sear engagement', and that's dangerous.  If you have positive sear engagement and your safety works, the trigger group is safe.  Now you just have to decide if you are OK with the crappy third world trigger feel.  If it's not safe, you definitely need to send the trigger out and get it fixed.  They usually fix the engagement points and put a new US made spring kit in, which helps the overall feel of the trigger.

Because of the 'positive engagement' design they will never have the super light trigger pull that you can get on some bolt actions.  With a little work (or a little money having that work done) they can be way better that most SKS are.  It's a good design that suffers from typical Communist execution.  Lacking in attention to detail on the line.  These weren't built by the same level of skilled labor that Colt had in the 1960s.  It's nice that you can just send in the trigger group of the SKS.  Saves shipping cost and doesn't involve transfering the FFL part.

You can pick up an aftermarket firing pin with a return spring for really low money ( I think I bought one for $15 last time I needed one).  That will prevent any slam fires.  Not usually a problem with Russian ammo, but it happens sometimes if you use American ammo in an SKS.  The primers on USA ammo are thinner than the Russian ones.

Offline gunner69

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 09:05:53 PM »
If I had your "Paratrooper" I would go to.....    http://www.sgworks.com    and consider turning it into a nice bullpup.    8)

Offline nfafan

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 09:10:44 PM »
You have a bubba'd CHICOM SKS that is definately not in its original imported conditon.

Many consider the CHICOM SKS to be as good as Russian guns, or at least second in the pecking order. CHICOMs have been unimportable for years; yours is a keeper for sure.

Go here for all SKS, all the time, including their all-CHICOM subforum.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 04:28:03 AM »
I decided against a new stock, and to refinish the stock,
removed the thick shelac finish, the wood was very gummy when sanding
applied a slightly lighter stain,
and finally a TruOil finish, I like the feel of this and the understated sheen

I think the barrel is threaded but there was some minor pitting on the metal that is not visible with the stock installed.