Author Topic: I have a tumbler media question.  (Read 715 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
I have a tumbler media question.
« on: September 03, 2010, 06:30:09 PM »
I bought a new Lyman 1200 Turbo tumbler tonight. It came with their media that is little green things. I have no idea what it is made of seeing as I have never used a tumbler before. I put some cases in it for a couple hours and pulled them out. Well I always thought they were to come out clean and looking like new but these cases have like a thin film on them that needs wiped off to make them look that way. Is it supposed to be this way? Is there another media I can use that I dont have to take the time to rub with a cloth to get it looking like new? I am new to tumbling brass and just don't know. Thanks and take care Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dill45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: I have a tumbler media question.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 06:52:42 PM »
I believe it is corn cob media though I'm not 100% sure on it.

I haven't found one yet that doesn't leave a residue, but I've only used about 4 different types of media so I'm no expert.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:44:40 PM »
I believe it is untreated corn cob media that is included.  This will knock off rough stuff and polish a bit, but using a brass polish additive will improve it's performance significantly.  I personally prefer walnut based media, especially since my wife's allergic to corn cobs, but also because it seems better at getting off the tougher grime.  Many folks use walnut for their first round cleaning with spent primers in or out, so when you use your decapping die, you don't get a lotta grime in your die.  I personally use my Lee Classic decapping pin and base to deprime, so I skip the pre-cleaning.  It is said in most cases that the corncob media does a better final finish.  I use the powdered RCBS brass cleaner as it's not messy and you don't have to pre-run the tumbler for 1/2 to 1 hour as many of the other polishes require.  I've heard good things about Franklin Arsenal Liquid as it is very good and inexpensive compared to some of the other liquids.  My next system will be an ultrasonic set-up, but since you've already purchased the one you have, I don't know if you want to switch.  Check out www.6mmbr.com's article on it if you are interested.  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline benny123

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 07:49:53 PM »
Yeah, I'm no expert either but for me the "green" left less residue than the 'brown'. The brand I buy has 3 cob types: yellow, green, brown. I think the darker the color the more effective the scouring but more residue left.

I'm pretty sure I have read lots of ingenious ways to clean brass here. Using household products as cleaner and ways to make a tumbler on the cheap.  Really good tips just do a GBO search  

Tacklebury beat me to the punch. His response is much better...

I believe it is corn cob media though I'm not 100% sure on it.

I haven't found one yet that doesn't leave a residue, but I've only used about 4 different types of media so I'm no expert.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 07:55:57 PM »
Well, since I cannot use corn cob, you knew what the colors were at least!  ;D  It was good of you to post what you knew!
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 01:04:33 AM »
When I use mine(Lyman 1200) I used what came with it,did the same as yours so I left them in there longer,if the brass isnt to bad I still leave it in for about 3 hours,sometimes really bad brass goes all night when done all is needed is to poke media from the primer pockets,no film.

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 02:07:21 AM »
go to local pet store. they have beding stuff for pets. i get the walnut shell. 1/4 the cost and does as good or better than what comes with tumbler. i also add a little brasso. nice and shinney

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 06:03:36 AM »
A couple things that I have found over the years ,

1 - DO NOT use the mid-sized corn cob from the pet store for small bore case's , it will pack into 223 cases and you will have one hell of a time getting it out  ;D >:( :o Trust Me on this

2 - Is to use a mix of 50% Corn Cob and 50% Walnut , un-treated , fine grind . It will not give the cases the " NEW " look , But it will get them clean and not leave a mess to wipe off after your done tumbling .

Shinny ammo is pert-eey but doesn't shoot any better , what does need to happen is that its clean so it does not scratch the dies or chamber .

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
http://www.drillspot.com/products/499763/econoline_526020g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

I've tried a LOT of stuff in my tumblers and vibrators from dried coffee grounds to wood chunks, to beach sand, to kitty litter (diotomacious earth), to lizzard litter (pet shop walnut shells), ad infinatum, 'cause I love to tinker/experiment. I guess I'm getting old (?) and got some of the above media. Works really good in my Lyman vibrator and cheap too! I don't bother with any additives and get clean shiny brass.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 11:26:26 AM »
Dale, Lyman puts treated media in with some of their tumblers. It's usually pretty heavy. Best thing you could do, is get some untreated corn cob or walnut, and mix it about 50/50 until you've used it a few times.
The green stuff is what Lyman puts on the media to make the brass shiney. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline shot1

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 01:13:50 PM »
The green is treated corncob media. Take you an old bounce dryer sheet, those anti static cling sheets you put into the dryer to soften and keep down the static clean of your clothing, cut you up some strips and put them into your tumbler. They will pick up a lot of the dust from media. Also I have noticed that the more/longer that I used my media the less dust there is. I use my tumbler mainly to just remove the case lube and polish up most of my rifle cases that are not dirty from ground dirt. It could be that the removed case lube settles the dust and it does not stick to the cases. I used to use the Lyman treated walnut but it left a red dust on everything in a mile of the tumbler. I now use the treated corn cob. I have kept some very old corncob media that had gotten dirty for just cleaning up pistol cases that have been on the ground or cases that I find or are given that are dirty just to clean the dirt off before sizing then after sizing they go into the newer stuff to polish.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 10:44:24 PM »
Have been using the crushed walnut shell for over 30 yrs now. I get it at my local tack and feed store. Runs about $14,00 for a 50lb bag. I add some liquid car polish every once in a while to rejuvanate it. When I was doing a lot of loading (had a small bus. going) used a small clean elect. cement mixer. Would dump a 50lb bag ofv walnut shell in it and 5gal bucket of brass and let it run for about 3 hours.

Gun Runner

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 04:16:14 AM »
I must have got lucky and did not pay they high price for fine walnut shell.  Paid $11.00 for 50 pounds this past winter.  Had my Tumbler tumbler going with three weeks and still have a life time supply.  Gave a little to a granddaughter for critter litter, and will give a little more to a hunting partner..

Like my friend Gun Runner I add a little car polish for real dirty brass.

Do not get the extra fine, it turns into dust.

Follow stimpylu32 advice on mid size Pet Store corn cob.  I had a heck of a time cleaning it out of 270 Winchester cases.  It became garbage, the corn cob, not the cases.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.